Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header bolts

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 11:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header bolts

I'm going to put in tsp headers in a couple of weeks, what's recommended to spray on the bolts to help break them free? Pb blaster, Wd 40 etc?

Also I have to drive the car like 50 miles to my friends lift, I plan on spraying them a couple of days before, that shouldn't be an issue, correct?
Old 02-27-2014, 03:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WD 40 has a spray penetrating oil that I have used a few times with good results. Spraying a few days prior is always a good idea.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:09 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PB blaster on heated bolts done a couple of cycles is hands down the best way to break them free. My stock rusted 175k mile catback and manifold bolts came free this way. Get the bolts hot enough to boil the PB blaster when first sprayed on them. Let it sit a min and then heat and spray again. Remove while still hot for nut on bolt removal. Start the engine and get it fairly hot for Spraying blaster on mani bolts then use a can of air duster turned upside down and freeze the bolts themselves. This expands the aluminum head and shrinks the bolt to provide a small gap for better PB blaster penetration and helps remove them.

Quick Reply: Header bolts