Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going with LT's and fabbing up true duals, lots of question within.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 09:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going with LT's and fabbing up true duals, lots of question within.

Ok, so I have decided to go with Flowtech LT's. However I have not decided if I will go with coated or not. The car is only out in fair weather and never seens rain or snow. Hell its in storage 6 months out of the year. So moisture is not an issue, and I am not such a stickler where higher engine bay temps will bug me all that much. So in your opinion do I spring for the coating or not?
Also, my car is lowered with Dynamic Motorsports (DMS) lowering springs. Here is a picture of the car: http://pic6.picturetrail.com/VOL167/...4/51959961.jpg
Do you think I will have any ground clearance issues with the LT's?
With another issue concerning ground clearance, I have decided to go with true duals. However I refuse to pay $550+ for a Lanes performance setup. We have several great muffler shops in the area and will have them do it after I acquire all of the pieces. What I need to know is should I use 2.5in or 3in exhaust tubing? Summit sells generic X-pipes in both of these sizes. Infact I think someone is selling a setup made with one of these in the forsale section. So what size tubing do I use (keep in mind the car is lowered). So I would then come off the x-pipe and go into 2 12in bullet mufflers and then into dumps before the rear axle. Anybody see any problems with the setup thus far with anything regarding ground clearance or anything else?
Anybody have any idea how loud this would be? Haha, thanks for putting up with my ignorance, I believe that all the questions I have for now. Thanks.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id go 2.5" if your worried about ground clearance. I went with 3 with my lowered setup and I cant take it to certain places or it will drag.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

i would go with 2.5. i personally chose that because of ground clearance, the only reason why my car is not dropped is because im afraid the mufflers might hang to low. i already have a few problems with clearance.
oh, be smart about what x pipe you buy from summit, because if you buy the $30 X junctions.......damn...those things are junk, they dont even look like an x pipe!!!!!
Old 05-19-2004, 09:42 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SSideExhLS1
i would go with 2.5. i personally chose that because of ground clearance, the only reason why my car is not dropped is because im afraid the mufflers might hang to low. i already have a few problems with clearance.
oh, be smart about what x pipe you buy from summit, because if you buy the $30 X junctions.......damn...those things are junk, they dont even look like an x pipe!!!!!
I was gonna buy the one that was $99 and some change. Thanks for all the info guys, keep in comin.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BezersSLPSS
I was gonna buy the one that was $99 and some change. Thanks for all the info guys, keep in comin.
Why even pay $99 for the x-junction.. Check eBay you can get the Magnaflow x-pipe for $75. I went with one that a shop fabs and sells on there for $47 shipped. As long as it is mandrel bent, you're good to go.

I'm going with 2.5" piping for clearance and price.

Good luck with your setup..
Old 05-23-2004, 01:28 PM
TECH Regular

I went with Pacesetter LTs, X Pipe, and Bullet 16" dumps. It is collected into 2.5 pipe. I am also lowered between 1-1 1/2 inches. I HAVE CLEARANCE ISSUES! Don't get me wrong, I dig it and will never go back to CATBACK, but I do need to put a spacer in the *** end to help me out with certain roads. Attached is my clearance from the back and from the side....

Originally Posted by BezersSLPSS
Ok, so I have decided to go with Flowtech LT's. However I have not decided if I will go with coated or not. The car is only out in fair weather and never seens rain or snow. Hell its in storage 6 months out of the year. So moisture is not an issue, and I am not such a stickler where higher engine bay temps will bug me all that much. So in your opinion do I spring for the coating or not?
Also, my car is lowered with Dynamic Motorsports (DMS) lowering springs. Here is a picture of the car: http://pic6.picturetrail.com/VOL167/...4/51959961.jpg
Do you think I will have any ground clearance issues with the LT's?
With another issue concerning ground clearance, I have decided to go with true duals. However I refuse to pay $550+ for a Lanes performance setup. We have several great muffler shops in the area and will have them do it after I acquire all of the pieces. What I need to know is should I use 2.5in or 3in exhaust tubing? Summit sells generic X-pipes in both of these sizes. Infact I think someone is selling a setup made with one of these in the forsale section. So what size tubing do I use (keep in mind the car is lowered). So I would then come off the x-pipe and go into 2 12in bullet mufflers and then into dumps before the rear axle. Anybody see any problems with the setup thus far with anything regarding ground clearance or anything else?
Anybody have any idea how loud this would be? Haha, thanks for putting up with my ignorance, I believe that all the questions I have for now. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Going with LT's and fabbing up true duals, lots of question within.-dumps-side.jpg   Going with LT's and fabbing up true duals, lots of question within.-dumps1.jpg  
Old 05-23-2004, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

i would also say 2.5 if you are worried about ground clarence. altough i have a 3" setup from lanes, and it really aint too bad. but that was a lot more expensive than what you are looking for, and im not sure how the summit x-pipe would hang. i would say go 2.5 to be safe.
Old 05-23-2004, 03:41 PM
Staging Lane

If you go with 2.5" duals, you will have to get reducers and that will cost you more. I talked to Lane about this bc I thought I wanted 2.5 but most LT's come with 3" collectors... The Hookers, Flowtech's, Pacesetter... so I would just go with 3" like most do. You will have no problems with 3'' duals. Alot of guys are running the pro-kit with 3" duals without problems.
Old 05-23-2004, 04:12 PM
TECH Regular

I saved money by buying the Race style Pacesetters and then the collectors seperate. ended up being the same price as the LTs with the collectors and gave me the option to step down to the 2.5"
Old 05-23-2004, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

I had a nice 3" true dual setup. It was very well built with xpipe and dump before the axles. I HATED the noise. I could hardly hear the radio. I switched to to the mac ypipe with a hooker catback( have mac headers no cats). The sound is excellent at idle and at cruise. Plenty loud when WOT or pulling thrugh the gears. I picked up a great deal of torque switching back and lost a little above 5000rpm. I dont recommend it for a daily driver at all. Clearance was horrible and after looking at it closely they couldnt have been tucked up neater. Forget lowering the car. 3 people and I was scraping. 2.5" or 3" and you will scrape! I would spend my money anywhere but there for a daily driver. I dont believe the gains are worth it from a seat of the pants feel anyway. I will now lower the car and spend the money from selling it on a dyno tune instead
Old 05-23-2004, 09:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bullet mufflers alone will be loud, but some people like it that way, like myself, who thinks open headers is too quiet...

You might be able to manage 3", but if ground clearence is a huge issue, go with 2.5". I went with 3" and just have to avoid the speed bumps. I can still go over them though without issues. I also plan to get the car lowered soon.
Old 05-30-2004, 06:44 PM
Teching In

ok i hear mixed reviews here, so which is it you lose TQ by installing duels or not what kind of power am i looking at gaining with flowtech headers and 3" true dual system?