Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honest Review Of Professional Products 85mm Typhoon Intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 12:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honest Review Of Professional Products 85mm Typhoon Intake

This Started about 6-8 months ago when I picked up a Used Typhoon 85 for 250 off of my local Craigslist. I am not a rich man, but was look for a better intake for my 243 head/cam swap I was planning. It sat around while I read countless threads about it either being shitty or a good value.

Fast forward a couple months and I decided to sell it for an ls6 manifold. Got scared I guess. Sale fell through and I let the ad lapse. I finally decided to install it, and to see if the rumors were true or false.

My car is a full bolt on 98 Formula with a big stall for reference. The finish of the intake was very nice, inside of the ports and the exterior. Plenty of beef for porting. You could definitely open it up more. The rails seem a bit cheap to me, but they don't leak. I had to modify the crossover AN line, and trim the throttle bracket a bit. Hindsight is 20/20, and this could have been avoided if I moved the crossover to the rear. Also, the MAP sensor location could have been slightly better, it was a PITA to plug in. Other than that I am happy with the way it went together. Almost as easy as a factory intake.

I had a ls1 intake on before, so I definitely noticed a increase in throttle response and more power in the higher rpm range. It definitely gets hot, though I didnt feel any power loss. No vacuum leaks or fitment nightmares that you'll read about. It looks very nice under the hood. I probably wouldn't buy it over a ls6 brand new, b ut If the 2 were the same price I would. It's not bad at all, and I'm glad I have a bit of shine on my stock motor. Obviously it's no Fast 90/102

Honest Review Of Professional Products 85mm Typhoon Intake-forumrunner_20140703_010723.jpg
Old 07-05-2014, 06:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

i've also had a customer of mine pull plugs and see everything from white, to tan, to black on different cylinders.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:24 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I'd stick with the LS6 myself...
Old 07-06-2014, 09:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
I'd stick with the LS6 myself...
yup, but theyll be plenty of defenders of this thing you can cook your dinner on.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:02 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the 96mm Typhoon intake and it sucked, leaked everywhere unless I lathered it with rtv at every possible point for a leak, fuel rails were crap, I sold it and bought a FAST and couldn't be happier. I'd go with a ls6 or a FAST.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:45 AM
TECH Regular

I got my 96mm Typhoon style intake and I like it. Picked up 13 rwhp over my LS6 and 5-10 hp throughout the curve. Bought it brand new on ebay for around 250.00. It looks amazing, sounds bad ***, and actually gives you more room to fiddle around as its not as wide as the plastic intakes. 13 hp for 250.00 is pretty good.. Not any problems with leaks or what not but I did had a buddy help with the install as the gaskets are a little bit of a PITA. I also cleaned up the runners with a dremol tool with a metal brush attachment.

Quick Reply: Honest Review Of Professional Products 85mm Typhoon Intake