Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Engineering race headers with TSP ory review

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 01:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed Engineering race headers with TSP ory review

I recently had LT's put on my car and went through quite a bit of research as to which ones to get. I was planning on getting the TSP headers for the simple fact that they were one of the few offering headers in stainless steel. Then I read a thread on here about Speed Engineering offering stainless headers for half the price of the TSP's. Needless to say I paid $250 for SE headers and $150 for a TSP ory. I had no idea if that ory would work with those headers but the TSP design seemed remarkably similar to SE's ory... and the TSP has the redesigned merge. After the install the headers went in without having to loosen the motor mounts, the ory was a little problematic getting on, but after some tweaking we got it to tuck up nicely. The car surprisingly wasn't too loud but sounds fantastic... might also be cause I have a Moroso Spiral Flow in the i-pipe. Very tame yet very aggressive. Other mods are custom grinded cam 225/232. All in all, for those of you wanting some stainless headers and are on a budget, look into the Speed Engineering headers!
Old 09-13-2014, 06:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I just received/installed my SE 1 7/8" headers and ORY. The headers are awesome, high quality, easy install. All I had to remove was the oil filter! Best clearance on steering shaft I have ever seen.
The ORY HOWEVER.....good quality, terrible fit. Wrestled with it for hours (with an SAE mechanic buddy). It was tweaking the headers bad to try to align with tunnel/DS loop. Clamps suck. Ended up going to a muffler shop and we cut, chopped, extended, etc. to get the clearance I insisted upon. I will be doing a write-up with pics to show all I had to do.
I will say this...the ORY has a neck down from 3.5" to 2.5" so I chopped that off too! Now I have a true 3" to the cut-out. The merge is good w/zero rasp.

Maybe the TSP ory is better.

Stand-by for a complete write-up with pics.

All-in-all, I am very pleased with the final results.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:01 PM
Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LSone98
I recently had LT's put on my car and went through quite a bit of research as to which ones to get. I was planning on getting the TSP headers for the simple fact that they were one of the few offering headers in stainless steel. Then I read a thread on here about Speed Engineering offering stainless headers for half the price of the TSP's. Needless to say I paid $250 for SE headers and $150 for a TSP ory. I had no idea if that ory would work with those headers but the TSP design seemed remarkably similar to SE's ory... and the TSP has the redesigned merge. After the install the headers went in without having to loosen the motor mounts, the ory was a little problematic getting on, but after some tweaking we got it to tuck up nicely. The car surprisingly wasn't too loud but sounds fantastic... might also be cause I have a Moroso Spiral Flow in the i-pipe. Very tame yet very aggressive. Other mods are custom grinded cam 225/232. All in all, for those of you wanting some stainless headers and are on a budget, look into the Speed Engineering headers!
Glad to hear. Thank you for the comments...

ragtopz28: I am not sure if our old Y-Pipe fit cars with drive shaft loops. No cutting should be required. All you need to do to seal the Y-Pipe is cut a 1" slit in the female end of each connection, which will allow you to clamp down correctly on male ends.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE ragtopz28: I am not sure if our old Y-Pipe fit cars with drive shaft loops. No cutting should be required. All you need to do to seal the Y-Pipe is cut a 1" slit in the female end of each connection, which will allow you to clamp down correctly on male ends.[/QUOTE]

My post was by no means meant to be a bashing...I am very pleased with the quality AND price!! As stated the headers are awesome and easiest I have ever installed. The Y-pipe write up I plan will show what was done to make pipe clear floorboard (0 banging) and line up correctly so no pressure is put on the headers.
Attached Thumbnails Speed Engineering race headers with TSP ory review-img_20140913_123401_033.jpg  
Old 03-21-2016, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LSone98, which speed engineering headers are you talking about in post #1? 1.75 or 1.875? Thank you

Quick Reply: Speed Engineering race headers with TSP ory review