Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Silicone coupler question

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 09:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Silicone coupler question

This may seem dumb, but what's the point of the 3 rings on a silicone coupler? I'm trying to get a certain length piece and the only one they carry that long is something like this.

I'm putting it part of a custom N/A intake right before the throttle, will these wavy things cause any turbulence or air issues?

Old 10-08-2014, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The humps are there to allow a little flex in the coupler. The rings support the flexible (weak spot) in that particular coupler for boosted applications. The humps will not cause any turbulence. If you look at the factory bellows you will see much more aggressive humps/ribs.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 306 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by poltergeist 02
The rings support the flexible (weak spot) in that particular coupler for boosted applications.

This...keeps the middle of the tube from looking like a big blue "basket ball" under high boost...
Old 10-09-2014, 05:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The humps will not cause any turbulence. If you look at the factory bellows you will see much more aggressive humps/ribs.
Cool thanks, I was hoping for that. But let me ask this, what is the reason alot of people go with the smooth bellow when upgrading their intake? For looks or is there an actual benefit to how the intake as a whole performs?
Old 10-09-2014, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If there is a benefit, I would bet it's less than 2hp. I use to run a smooth bellow and now I have a ribbed bellow. I couldn't tell the difference even my ET's didn't show any signs of loss of power.

Quick Reply: Silicone coupler question