Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poly MM installation hell - advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 08:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Poly MM installation hell - advice needed

Spent 8 hours working on the car today. The passenger mounts would not go in unless I unbolted the Driver's side bolt, let it come out halfway, then use the scissor jack method to push the engine over (as described in one of the writeups here ).

Well, passenger side bolt is in, but now the driver's side is way off. I've tried everything, unbolting the trans subframe to get more movement, scissor jacking the other side, etc.

I am new to this chassis, maybe I'm just doing something wrong?

The mount looks a little damaged but I don't care at this point, I just need to get this back together so I'm not wasting any more time on it. I have probably 15+ hours into this project by now.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the driver side first. Was a cake walk. Then I did the passenger side. Was a bitch. Use a jack and plywood to move the engine up and down and also used the sissor jack method. Took me and a buddy a little while but finally got her lined up. Take a break and go back at it. Sometimes things just seem to workout after you step away for a bit. Good luck
Old 10-11-2014, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I put a pry bar between the frame stand and the clam shell. I feel that I should point out that is was a good pry bar not a cheap one that just bends.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Loosen bolts holding mounts to engine block, loosen pedestal mount bolts to k member. Use big prybar. If that method doesnt work then something is fucked.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, the 3 day saga is finally over. Invited a bunch of people over yesterday. Took 3 people working on it at once (prybar operator, scissor jack operator, someone beating on the bolt) but it finally went. Had to undo the passenger side, get the dirver side back in, then use the extra room on the passenger side. Had to pull the starter too.

Just left it since I had spent so much time on it, hopefully I'll wrap it up this week after work hours.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Loosen bolts holding mounts to engine block, loosen pedestal mount bolts to k member. Use big prybar. If that method doesnt work then something is fucked.
This was the way I did it and it wasn't that bad. Most people don't think to loosen the pedistal mount bolts.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I took the whole pedestal out and it went back in easy.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you got it! I went thru this with a tubular k-member that already had engine mount stands welded on the k-member, kicked my *** for sure...

Quick Reply: Poly MM installation hell - advice needed