Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Catch Can Build Questions / Smoking on Decel

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 01:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Catch Can Build Questions / Smoking on Decel

I have been having a major issue with smoking on decel after boost. After doing some research it seems like the likely candiate is either VSS Or PCV setup / needing catch cans. After overloading on research for the best setup and catch cans to buy I decided the catch can I wanted was outside of my budget considering I wanted to do a dual setup. I decided to machine my own and would like some honest opinions or ideas for improvement before installation.

First, Here is a picture of my engine bay for anyone questioning the setup.
Oil Catch Can Build Questions / Smoking on Decel-plzpllm.jpg

Here is the PCV Setup I was planning on running.

I started out the basic design with a 3" diameter can, 7" in length. Threaded ends for easy disassembly. I am using a copper tube to direct the incoming air to the bottom of the can, with multiple holes drilled for changing oil level. There is a stainless steel fine wire mesh filter that filters to 60 micron wrapped around the copper tube about 10 times. There is then a diffuser located 4" above the bottom of the can to prevent oil splash. Lastly is a stainless steel muffler with a 50 micron filter. In one of the two cans is a one way valve, while the other Does not have a valve (Between intake filter and valve cover). Bottom has a slight taper to help drain, with a stop **** on the bottom of the can.

Thanks in advance for any comments or advice

Oil Catch Can Build Questions / Smoking on Decel-cxzwtko.jpg
Oil Catch Can Build Questions / Smoking on Decel-p8llxk3.jpg
Oil Catch Can Build Questions / Smoking on Decel-bpqy1ko.jpg
Oil Catch Can Build Questions / Smoking on Decel-schhhhc.jpg
Oil Catch Can Build Questions / Smoking on Decel-2vjbebj.jpg
Oil Catch Can Build Questions / Smoking on Decel-aesmhxk.jpg
Oil Catch Can Build Questions / Smoking on Decel-qf6zoga.jpg
Oil Catch Can Build Questions / Smoking on Decel-bihjmys.jpg
Oil Catch Can Build Questions / Smoking on Decel-330endo.jpg
Oil Catch Can Build Questions / Smoking on Decel-ap5bsta.jpg
Oil Catch Can Build Questions / Smoking on Decel-w4imbb6.jpg
Oil Catch Can Build Questions / Smoking on Decel-hl7qqyx.jpg
Oil Catch Can Build Questions / Smoking on Decel-lh9sogf.jpg
Oil Catch Can Build Questions / Smoking on Decel-1y1h3da.jpg
Oil Catch Can Build Questions / Smoking on Decel-z7qwcsf.jpg
Oil Catch Can Build Questions / Smoking on Decel-9ve1hlv.jpg
Old 11-07-2014, 03:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like a nice design and nice machine work. I dig when people build their own stuff

One suggestion I have is maybe adding a safety blow off valve to relieve potential pressure buildup, or possibly increase the diameter of the holes in your diffuser plate to allow for greater exit flow. With boost I'd be concerned that the can in it's current configuration wouldn't flow enough. Is it possible to run a flow simulation on it in its current state to see what the limits are?
Old 11-07-2014, 05:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ckpitt55
Looks like a nice design and nice machine work. I dig when people build their own stuff

One suggestion I have is maybe adding a safety blow off valve to relieve potential pressure buildup, or possibly increase the diameter of the holes in your diffuser plate to allow for greater exit flow. With boost I'd be concerned that the can in it's current configuration wouldn't flow enough. Is it possible to run a flow simulation on it in its current state to see what the limits are?
Everything is flow rated for at least 40 CFM. From what I have researched I should never see over 5 CFM. As far as a safety blow off.. The oil catch can hooked to the throttle body has a 1 way valve (plastic connector in last picture) to prevent pressure from ever seeing that catch can, so that should not ever be an issue. The other catch can (Between valve cover and intake) has no 1 way valve, but can flow more pressure than the crank case should ever see unless I blow a ring.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:20 PM
Staging Lane

If you are willing to go through all this for a catch can, I'm starting to wonder if I should not buy the $30 one on Flebay.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:47 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

You certainly went through a ton of work to make that!

My peanut butter jar is working just fine on my high mileage truck:

Old 11-08-2014, 03:37 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Today was "dump day". About 2,000 miles of driving.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:45 AM
Teching In

Yes, I did go through a little extra work to make mine. I would not have done it if i didn't have access to the machinery to make it, and would have ended up with something simliar to yours.

The majority of the ebay ones are nothing more than an empty can with an inlet and an outlet and won't do much of anything. Mine is just a fancy way to add a diffuser (to keep oil from reaching the outlet easily in heavy turning) and an extra filter with known micrometer filtering. I also added the one way valve for my turbo setup on one of the catch cans.

I installed these catch cans yesterday and all smoking issues have vanished, so at this point I don't care if I went a little overboard!

Quick Reply: Oil Catch Can Build Questions / Smoking on Decel