Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coolant leak need help please !!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 05:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant leak need help please !!!

hey guys I have a 01 ss and it has 85k on it. It has a coolant leak and from what I saw im thinking its the water pump. I can see fresh green coolant that has dripped/pooled up all over the front sway bar, the back of the crank pulley also on the other pulleys, and leaking off the oil pan..ALTHOUGH I cannot see an actual drip (possibly the weep hole that cant be seen?. Because my driveway is on a hill, it made it seem like the coolant was leaking from the back of the motor by the back of the oil pan leading me to think a head gasket but its leaking all the way down due to it being on the hill.

Important:
NO WHITE SMOKE OUT OF THE EXHAUST
Oil is Perfect
car has only overheated once due to a low coolant level
before I bought it it had Dexcool in it and I flushed and switched to green
tstat was changed
Belt also Squeaks on cold start

I would appreciate it if I can get some good feedback/conformation that it is not a head gasket or if it is the water pump or something else

thank you
Old 12-02-2014, 06:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you haven't already done so, pull the front up onto some ramps or up jack stands. Then with a bright drop light of flash light start the car up and let it get up to full operating temperature while you're under the front looking(with safety glasses on)for the leak source. Then start from the top and work your way down. Start with look around the steam vent tubes where it mounts to the heads up front, or along it's return route to the filler neck on the radiator. I'd also check the rear steam port caps on the back at the rear of the heads. If you found no leaks from the steam vent locations up top then when you remove the water pump carefully look at the wp gaskets since it's common for the factory wp gaskets to leak after a lot of miles. If you find no possible signs the wp gaskets are bad and causing the leak then, I would say you probably then need a new water pump.

I doubt it's a head gaskets, but if all else fails to stop the coolant leak it's always a possibility.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 12-02-2014 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
If you haven't already done so, pull the front up onto some ramps or up jack stands. Then with a bright drop light of flash light start the car up and let it get up to full operating temperature while you're under the front looking(with safety glasses on)for the leak source. Then start from the top and work your way down. Start with look around the steam vent tubes where it mounts to the heads up front, or along it's return route to the filler neck on the radiator. I'd also check the rear steam port caps on the back at the rear of the heads. If you found no leaks from the steam vent locations up top then when you remove the water pump carefully look at the wp gaskets since it's common for the factory wp gaskets to leak after a lot of miles. If you find no possible signs the wp gaskets are bad and causing the leak then, I would say you probably then need a new water pump.

I doubt it's a head gaskets, but if all else fails to stop the coolant leak it's always a possibility.
Thanks for the info ..I have already put it up on Ramos at operating temp but it was not running.. I could not see the drip problt because it wasn't running but I did see the fresh green coolant all over the front seat bar, back of crank pulley and other pullies and also leakin off the bolts of the oil pan and running down the pan itself
Old 12-02-2014, 08:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ahh, had this happen to me this summer. It ended up being those shitty factory hose coolant clamps. I did a radiator pressure test to verify where the leak was coming from. Fixed for 10 bucks
Old 12-02-2014, 08:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Okay, sounds like it definitely leaking up front then, not in the rear.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by scotty2000ss
Ahh, had this happen to me this summer. It ended up being those shitty factory hose coolant clamps. I did a radiator pressure test to verify where the leak was coming from. Fixed for 10 bucks
Thanks I'll have to check that out too
Old 12-02-2014, 10:58 PM

Since it's right there you might want to check the coolant to/from the throttle body and even if it's been bypassed, it could still be leaking.
I would imagine there's a weep hole on the water pumps. Try running your hand on the bottom of the pump for coolant b4 an engine start. If all else fails, you could add dye and check with uv glasses.
Good luck.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:47 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 00-SLP
Since it's right there you might want to check the coolant to/from the throttle body and even if it's been bypassed, it could still be leaking.
I would imagine there's a weep hole on the water pumps. Try running your hand on the bottom of the pump for coolant b4 an engine start. If all else fails, you could add dye and check with uv glasses.
Good luck.
Thank you anyone else's input ?????
Old 12-04-2014, 11:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01articwhitess
LSx water pump weep hole problems are notorious. The pump on my GTO started leaking at 18,000mi.

VatoZone has lifetime warranty pumps under $200. At those miles I'd probably do the gaskets too.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 346 Likes on 234 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by 01articwhitess

I've had a LOT of 5.3-6.0L truck engines through the shop that had water leaks as you described...some were actual water pumps leaking...but, several of them were the gaskets between the pump and block.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 913 Likes on 653 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

For some reason, every LS water pump I've ever replaced only leaks when it's running or the engine is hot. Why I don't know. Just my experience.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:21 AM
Teching In

as already said, id guess weep hole on the pump (needs a pump replacement) or the mating gasket for the pump to the block.

If you cant pin point the leak you COULD just change the gaskets they are cheap and see if that fixes it or you could go ahead and replace the pump and gaskets which depending on age/miles on pump id change anyway.

If you do do this, make sure you get all of the old gasket off it may require some scraping/picking at but make sure not to damage the mating surface.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

+1 on gaskets (the ones with the orange silicone rings fail).

Quick Reply: coolant leak need help please !!!