Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fast 90 intake tough value evaluation

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 07:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Fast 90 intake tough value evaluation

Well, I was wondering if I could get a few opinions on what would be an asking price for an intake like this that is not perfect, yet perfectly functional.

I have this Fast 90 intake that I have owned for 4 years. I purchased it back when the 90's were going crazy. The previous owner bolted it down with the wrong valley bolts so there were a few marks on the bottom of the intake. Me thinking nothing of it at the time other than it had some bolt marks, opened it up to do some minor porting and found that the dents on the outside, were actually small cracks on the inside.

So I cleaned it all with Dawn dish soap and brake clean and removed all oil from it, cleaned the cracks up and put really high grade 2 part epoxy in the small cracks, let it dry and sanded it all smooth. Then on the outside bottom, I cleaned it, heavy grit sand paper, and was generous with the 2 part epoxy and went way farther outside the dents and made sure that it was super strong to be safe.

ignore the "oil from tubes" in the pic, this was a photo from a writeup I did about using the 4 corner coolant tubes under a Fast intake.

The intake then received what some call a "stage 1" port job. Remove the step in the runners and smooth the runners, and any casting material throughout the upper and lower shell. Also the mouth was opened up to 91 or 91.5mm.

Then cleaned multiple times, very lightly sanded, paint prep, primer, multi coats of high temp gunmetal grey paint. Then put together with a brand new rope seal, and I sourced out all stainless hardware.

The only other flaw with the intake is that the intake floor at the back of the intake near the last burst panel warped like I have read multiple accounts. Warped inwards about 3/16".

This intake has never once leaked, all mounting points are square, it functions perfectly and was a 20hp increase over my old LS6 intake.

So with all of these factors to take into account, what would a value be for something like this? It is still perfectly functioning and looks great, just those flaws that you can't see without removing it. I don't think that you can install the rear burst panel due to the floor, so this is for someone wanting to save money, not run nitrous (or be bold to) and still have the performance.

I have every picture from when I got it home, all defects, and how all the corrective work was performed to show whomever buys it. A friend locally does have first dibs though.

I would love to hear some opinions.

Thank You

-mark jr.

Last edited by BlackDuk98; 01-14-2015 at 07:57 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I think around $600 would be fare
Old 01-14-2015, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had one with similar damage and couldn't get more than 450 for it... Bummer but no one reallyblikes to buy broken parts repaired or not. A fast 90 is 3 times out of date add that to cracked/repaired and wait for the annoying PMS offering 250 shipped. Good luck with selling it. And I hope you get more for yours than I did for mine
Old 01-14-2015, 10:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd think youd have a good shot of selling it for right around half of what a new one costs. Even if it functions perfectly you are really limited to a small amount of people who would spend the money on a self repaired part.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I would give you 250 for it and don't need it
Old 01-15-2015, 11:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thank you for the opinions, intake is spoken for now

Quick Reply: Fast 90 intake tough value evaluation