Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Throttle Body Install Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2004, 02:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Throttle Body Install Problem

I received a ported throttle body from Texas Speed and I am trying to install it now. I could tell there might be a problem when I saw that the throttle cam (i'm not sure what you would call it - the part that the cable attaches to) looks a lot bigger than my old one. I have a 98 and they told me it would work on it. I will try calling them Tuesday I guess but if anyone knows the solution I would like to know. I've tried adjusting the cables every which way I know how. But it seems like there just isn't enough slack in the cable for the newer tb. I can start it with the tb closed but as soon as I give it some gas it will stay partly open and not return. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-29-2004, 05:27 PM
Banned

I wouldn't be able to tell you the year difference or specific TB details, but did you get through the obvious? I would address the required items, like is there a mechanical restriction, maybe needs to be loosened up a bit...or was the blade damaged/dented somehow and it's snagging on something before you get on with opening the blade the rest of the way. Just a couple things I picked up from working on this on the T/A, I noticed the slack a bit when I turned the car off and went through the motions of opening and closing the throttle. This is the time when you'll feel the free play clearly.

EDIT: from inside the car.

Last edited by Carvinta; 05-30-2004 at 12:27 AM.
Old 05-30-2004, 03:18 PM

I just ordered mine from them and it should be here Thursday. They told me there was a delay due to some spring issues they had. You could have gotten a bad one. I would call them.
Old 05-30-2004, 03:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cams are different, early - late F-body.
Swap the shaft off your old one, if the
TB blade screws aren't staked down to
prevent.
Old 05-30-2004, 03:44 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I got a 2000+ tb. But they said it would work. I'll call Monday to ask how. I thought about the swapping the cams/shaft but the new one is ground down and half the shaft was cut off and I don't really want to mess with that. It just seems like the cable from the traction control to tb isn't long enough by 1/2 inch. It might not be a problem if there wasn't the traction control.
Old 05-31-2004, 12:11 AM
TECH Regular

You have Janzter, Bauer, Shaner, who specialize in ported TB's and you buy from TSP?!
Old 05-31-2004, 01:03 AM
Staging Lane

I guess you have a point but I'm lazy and didn't want to have to send my core back. Plus it seems like most ported tbs perform pretty equally and TSP is a quality sponsor so I'm sure they will fix me up when I call Monday or Tuesday.