Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

has anyone been ticketed for not having cats?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 01:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default has anyone been ticketed for not having cats?

Not including places that do sniffers
Old 02-12-2015, 06:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 537 Likes on 383 Posts

What state you in ?
Old 02-12-2015, 10:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

No, sure have not. I'd doubt that 90% of cops even know what to look for, or for that matter, what the hell a catalytic convertor is. If they want to take the time and effort to crawl up under the car to look, more power to them. They'd be hard pressed to be able to see anything at all, as most of the cops around here are fat asses.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:19 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take this FWIW, but the only time I have heard about cops looking for cats, outside of an emission inspection station is, I understand that there is a state or two that has an inspection rule for vehicles with side pipes.

If I remember where I saw that, I will come back and post it, although, I suspect I could go hit up Yahoo or Duckduckgo and find it there.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

Interestingly, in Canuckville where cats are not mandatory (Prairie provinces only), I have seen Cops looking under my car with a mirror. I assumed it was mostly for exhaust mods (again legal), but I laughed as my cats were there, just nothing in them
Old 02-12-2015, 10:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

No, but you always run the risk of getting caught with them.
As mentioned above, there's always few cases when cops use mirrors to check under cars.

My guess is, it only happens where cops expect street racing or auto meets.
To be pulled over in a bolt on only car as part of routine traffic stop, I doubt it.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:11 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I know they've been cracking down pretty hard around this area and the va beach area for dpf/cat deletes on the diesel trucks. As far as cars, none of mine have had cats, when I get pulled over it's not usually because of noise lmfao.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by CGCBandit
I know they've been cracking down pretty hard around this area and the va beach area for dpf/cat deletes on the diesel trucks. As far as cars, none of mine have had cats, when I get pulled over it's not usually because of noise lmfao.
Ha, that's because your car doesn't blow miles worth of black soot like those diesel duech's who think they are cool with their big bad diesel trucks mommy and daddy bought for them.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

In New York City there is an auto police squad and they always check for cats when they pull you over. I put mine back on.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:07 PM
Launching!

As long as you don't have to pass a sniffer test for inspection just get your self some gutted fake cats, put those on and you won't ever have to think about getting a ticket. It's the best of both worlds!
Old 02-12-2015, 03:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Ha, that's because your car doesn't blow miles worth of black soot like those diesel duech's who think they are cool with their big bad diesel trucks mommy and daddy bought for them.
Somewhat true, however a friend of mine got pulled in his f250 for the dpf. Around here they know what the factory tips/dpf look like on the newer trucks.
I also have owned a few diesels now, my current '14 Denali will get deleted soon but with a bolt in delete pipe to stay under the radar kinda.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jontall
In New York City there is an auto police squad and they always check for cats when they pull you over. I put mine back on.
Iv heard the same thing from a few people up that way as well. Do I agree with it??no....however it is a ticketable offense, chance we all take lol.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

That's why you couldn't pay me enough money in the world to live in a place like that. There's a few things I'd love to say about Liberals and places where Liberals live, but because I don't want to get banned, I'll keep those thoughts to myself and my gun toting, God fearing, Conservative friends.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:34 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have seen some crazy stuff around here. They have a mobile smog test station. It is like how they do DUI check points, but instead its a smog check point. If you car looks modified, they put you on the smog machine on site. If your car doesn't pass, they pull your registration on spot. If you have no cats, you get a big ticket.

Almost every car I have owned has had a no cats and I personally have had no problems. Maybe I just get lucky. I am glad I have the option for registering my cars in AZ where they don't care!
Old 02-12-2015, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by scout2000
I understand that there is a state or two that has an inspection rule for vehicles with side pipes.
exhaust must exit out of rear of vehicle per PennDOT. im sure alot if not all states have this rule, its to "prevent" CO and NOX from entering the passenger compartment and "killing" the people inside.

when i had a 3800 in mine the cat died i gutted it and ran a open Y after. I got pulled over for speeding, cop walks back to his car to leave and says that muffler is there to muffle noise. i chuckled to myself then started the car
Old 02-13-2015, 03:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

States like New York and California need huge amounts of money to operate so they issue tickets for anything/ everything they can.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I saw a truck in Ohio last year and they had signs on the road stating it was an emissions sniffing station.

I am sure they probably just give tickets, but technically, they can tow your car.

As for exhaust exiting out the rear, my buddy has a 2013 Mustang Bullitt and it has a factory option for allowing the exhaust (or part of it) out the sides of the car. Pretty funky set-up for a factory car.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by joyridin'
As for exhaust exiting out the rear, my buddy has a 2013 Mustang Bullitt and it has a factory option for allowing the exhaust (or part of it) out the sides of the car. Pretty funky set-up for a factory car.
the side pipes are for track use. ur Suppose to open them at the track and close them when ur on the street
Old 02-13-2015, 09:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Where In NYC?
Regular police cruisers or something more discreet ?
Old 02-13-2015, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by FirstGen F-Body
the side pipes are for track use. ur Suppose to open them at the track and close them when ur on the street
All I can think if Dr Evil with quotations "" when I read this, lol!

Quick Reply: has anyone been ticketed for not having cats?