Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick exhaust advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 11:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick exhaust advice

Hey again guys. I've read all the stickies up top regarding exhaust systems, read through some forum posts, and I think I have my system built in my head for my '02 Camaro Z28. I just wanted to run everything by the resident experts before I started dropping all this money. Here's the parts I'm looking at:

Kooks 22412230 LT Headers (3" output) (already purchased)
Magnaflow 59959 3" spun metallic catalytic converter (x2)
Jegs 30662 3" universal x-pipe
Moroso 94051 Spiral Flow 3" mufflers (x2)

I'm still torn on O2 sensors. Part of me wants to get new ones, since everything else will be new. But I've read that new LTs can foul sensors, in which case I'd be wasting my money. So would I be better off just getting extenders? If not, should I go with Bosch, AC Delco, or Denso? Pre-cat only, when I get the car tuned I'm gonna have them delete the post-cat sensors.

Also, the exhaust guy I'm talking to (Muffler Clinic in MN, he comes recommended from a couple personal sources) is skeptical about running dual 3" piping. He's unsure if there will be space to go over the axle (I'd like to stick with an over the axle setup). If it becomes an issue, where's the best place to drop it to 2.5"? Since I've already bought and received the headers, I'm stuck with a 3" starting point. All the piping will be fabbed by him.

Any input is appreciated.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

3" over the axel is no problem , but you have to have Panhard bar relocation to do it . Founders Performance has them for $ 90 , UMI and BMR they are over $200. If Iirc you can do 2 1/2 without one.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:05 PM
Launching!

I have pretty much this same setup, but under axle. I used O2 extensions. I've had this for about 2 months and the only issues are clearance and a code for a day or two. I LOVE IT
Old 03-06-2015, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Gamer0364
Hey again guys. I've read all the stickies up top regarding exhaust systems, read through some forum posts, and I think I have my system built in my head for my '02 Camaro Z28. I just wanted to run everything by the resident experts before I started dropping all this money. Here's the parts I'm looking at:

Kooks 22412230 LT Headers (3" output) (already purchased)
Magnaflow 59959 3" spun metallic catalytic converter (x2)
Jegs 30662 3" universal x-pipe
Moroso 94051 Spiral Flow 3" mufflers (x2)

I'm still torn on O2 sensors. Part of me wants to get new ones, since everything else will be new. But I've read that new LTs can foul sensors, in which case I'd be wasting my money. So would I be better off just getting extenders? If not, should I go with Bosch, AC Delco, or Denso? Pre-cat only, when I get the car tuned I'm gonna have them delete the post-cat sensors.

Also, the exhaust guy I'm talking to (Muffler Clinic in MN, he comes recommended from a couple personal sources) is skeptical about running dual 3" piping. He's unsure if there will be space to go over the axle (I'd like to stick with an over the axle setup). If it becomes an issue, where's the best place to drop it to 2.5"? Since I've already bought and received the headers, I'm stuck with a 3" starting point. All the piping will be fabbed by him.

Any input is appreciated.
Was looking at your parts ....... the X- pipe do you mean Jegs narrow 30682 if that's correct , good choice much better than a stamped or true X wide spayed legs . Talk to your exhaust guy and see if they will make you a custom X . The two pipes just kissing one another about 20 % , shoot for a long cross section with about 4 1/2 inch diameter throat.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:21 AM
Teching In

Quick update: This is taking longer than I thought. But I'm determined to get it done. I've decided not to do Muffler Clinic, as he was trying to convince me to change my plan completely and go with what he thought was right. I like advice, but not trying to make my mind for me. I'm hitting all the local performance exhaust shops trying to find the best deals. Considering saying screw custom and just spring for the Kooks 3" ORX TD instead. We'll see.

I had another question though: I bought the headers with the provisions for AIR, but just finished deleting my AIR system about an hour ago (what a huge PITA that was. Worth it though.). Do the holes in the headers just need to be plugged then, since there's no longer any hoses to go in them?
Old 03-17-2015, 01:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good call on using Kooks Headers.

Having gone through process of finding a decent place to do duals all the way out back, I have to say is tricky depending on where you live. my exhaust is dumped and ugly.

If you are paying someone to build the entire system for you and you are buying things like Cats, Extensions for Rear 02s, X pipes can get pricey, time consuming.

In the long run, its better and easier to just get the kooks duals.

If you prefer to piece together your own kit, here are only 2 things I'd change in your parts list.

Cats
If you need them for visual inspection, otherwise tune out rear 02 sensors out and save weight on cats.
Price of 2 high flow cats vs tune, the tune is cheaper.
You will need it since you delete AIR, EGR and all that fun dead weight off your car.

Xpipe
Summit Racing® Narrow Universal X-Pipe Kits Part #SUM-643130

Last edited by bad_408_vert; 03-17-2015 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
Good call on using Kooks Headers.

Having gone through process of finding a decent place to do duals all the way out back, I have to say is tricky depending on where you live. my exhaust is dumped and ugly.

If you are paying someone to build the entire system for you and you are buying things like Cats, Extensions for Rear 02s, X pipes can get pricey, time consuming.

In the long run, its better and easier to just get the kooks duals.
I agree, and decided to do that. Got the 3" ORX TD, BMR Panhard Rod Relocation Kit, and the BMR Driveshaft Safety Loop from Maryland Speed for $1820 shipped. Called and they gave me $170 off the site price. Now to just wait for them to get here, and get the install done.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

NICE!

post a video when you get it all together.

Quick Reply: Quick exhaust advice