Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help with venting hoses

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 10:35 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default need help with venting hoses

hi - got car back from shop after cam swap and found 2 heater hoses just hanging under K member. Traced them back to vent ports from the valve covers.

Rear of drivers side VC connects with a "Y" to rear of pass side VC and continues all the way down to k member zip tied to rack.

Front of pass side VC also goes down to k member zip tied to rack.

I thought there should never be un-metered air able to enter the closed system so this baffles me. Mechanic told me to add catch catch can if the leaking oil bothers me.

Anyway, see my pics attached and please offer suggestions.

In current configuration, do you think this is costing HP?
Or does it add to a rougher idle?

One of the pics i'll attach is an old vented catch can i just found in my garage; it has 2 ports on it. Should i attach the 2 heater hoses that are currently hanging down to it until I purchase a normal catch can (the ones that use the vacuum from the tbody ports and intake port, numbered 1 and 2 in attached pic)?

Does it matter which hose goes to #1 or #2? They seem to be both equal in terms of pulling vacuum.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails need help with venting hoses-venting.jpg   need help with venting hoses-plugsnumbered.jpg   need help with venting hoses-20150502_111804_resized.jpg   need help with venting hoses-20150502_111814_resized.jpg   need help with venting hoses-20150502_111834_resized.jpg  

Old 05-02-2015, 10:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Get a catch can with a pcv valve "Mighty Mouse" can comes to mind..

Run the driver side hose around the intake and to the throttle body barb..

Run one hose from the passenger valve cover to the non pcv Inlet on the catch can

Cap the other passenger vent line on the valve cover

Then connect the pcv outlet of the catch can to the intake manifold just behind the throttle body, on the plastic barb..
Old 05-02-2015, 10:47 AM
10 Second Club

thanks So the rear driver side port just goes right to the tbody barb and doesn't need catch can? street car so no need for overkill and your suggestion fits the bill
Old 05-02-2015, 10:47 AM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year

Here's how I did mine, was getting ready to re do them in stainless braided line but you can see how it routed
Attached Thumbnails need help with venting hoses-image-3564327007.jpg  
Old 05-02-2015, 10:48 AM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by 2MCHPWR
thanks So the rear driver side port just goes right to the tbody barb and doesn't need catch can? street car so no need for overkill and your suggestion fits the bill
I think I have it switched around sorry lol, look at my pic

Driver side goes to throttle body, passenger to can
Old 05-02-2015, 10:51 AM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year

Here's the diagram, and actually I was right. You have a couple options to route the lines..

I like the pcv can he sells since it will allow it to work like the stock pcv system did..
Attached Thumbnails need help with venting hoses-image-1214242435.jpg  
Old 05-02-2015, 11:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

2MCHPWR, With you current CC unless the breather filter has a 1-way valve on it (very doubtful), it WILL be getting unmetered air, and will continuously venting oily stinky crank case vapors into the air and engine compartment. If you can somehow remove the breather filter and cap it, or install a Mighty Mouse 1-way valve breathe filter on (if it's the same size) then, and only then would I use that CC. For now just hook everything in the factory PCV system back up. Until you either modify your current CC, get a MMS catch can with a valved breather, or another quality CC without a breather filter on it.

Here's some that I'd recommend.
RX Performance, Saikou Michi, MMS, UPR(w/diffuser), Elite Engineering, AMW

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 05-02-2015 at 12:40 PM.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:58 AM
10 Second Club

ok so for now, i just connected front port of passenger side VC to t-body port.
Then connected the other heater hose (rear ports of drivers side VC Y piped to rear of pass side VC) to the port at the front of the intake manifold.
went drag racing, 10 hard passes, no issues encountered.

Waiting to see which mightmouse CC I can use that has 2 inlet ports (that'll go to the 2 hoses from my VC's) and one exit going to the tbody port or the intake port (not sure which one; you know?).

Can has no PCV.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

its a shame a top shop would do that. since the pcv is disabled you are however not having unmetered air because you arent bringing in any at all.

Originally Posted by Burken01
Here's how I did mine, was getting ready to re do them in stainless braided line but you can see how it routed

you could use one of these my man!

Quick Reply: need help with venting hoses