Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSD Atomic Airfoce LS1 intake manifold vs FAST 102MM intake

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 03:08 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default MSD Atomic Airfoce LS1 intake manifold vs FAST 102MM intake

Hey guys, I have a 98 Z28 6 speed.

I've been trying to do some searching on this intake and because it is still pretty new not much is coming up.

According to MSD you would need LS2 style fuel rails, but on Texas S&P it says you do not.

This is from Texas S&P site when you go find the LS1 MSD atomic intake.

"Atomic AirForce accepts an OEM or 103mm throttle body as well as stock or aftermarket fuel rails including MSD’s Atomic LS EFI system. The intake bolts on and is supplied with new gaskets and hardware for a direct bolt-on package."

Now I did find one thread here on LS1TECH and I tried to follow up with some of the quirks 2 guys had that were installing these, I called MSD and I didn't get too much helpful information from the guy I spoke with.

So what I'm wondering is, does anyone know much of these and what type of gains they would have over a FAST 102MM? or, should I just go with the FAST 102MM intake manifold and 102MM Nick Williams throttle body?

Also besides needing LS2 fuel rails for the 102MM fast, and a new intake manifold gasket is there anything else that would be needed to bolt it onto my LS1?

The reason why I am looking into doing an intake is because I will be doing a cam swap, intake and throttle body (obviously lol), and trunion upgrade for my stock rockers.

Appreciate the help!
Old 06-16-2015, 03:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by J-FredZ28
Hey guys, I have a 98 Z28 6 speed.

I've been trying to do some searching on this intake and because it is still pretty new not much is coming up.

According to MSD you would need LS2 style fuel rails, but on Texas S&P it says you do not.

This is from Texas S&P site when you go find the LS1 MSD atomic intake.

"Atomic AirForce accepts an OEM or 103mm throttle body as well as stock or aftermarket fuel rails including MSD’s Atomic LS EFI system. The intake bolts on and is supplied with new gaskets and hardware for a direct bolt-on package."

Now I did find one thread here on LS1TECH and I tried to follow up with some of the quirks 2 guys had that were installing these, I called MSD and I didn't get too much helpful information from the guy I spoke with.

So what I'm wondering is, does anyone know much of these and what type of gains they would have over a FAST 102MM? or, should I just go with the FAST 102MM intake manifold and 102MM Nick Williams throttle body?

Also besides needing LS2 fuel rails for the 102MM fast, and a new intake manifold gasket is there anything else that would be needed to bolt it onto my LS1?

The reason why I am looking into doing an intake is because I will be doing a cam swap, intake and throttle body (obviously lol), and trunion upgrade for my stock rockers.

Appreciate the help!

Pretty sure when Texas Speed says, "stock" fuel rails, they are referring to the "stock" LS2 fuel rails, just as you would have to have with the FAST. I've done a fair amount of research too, and at minimum, LS2 fuel rails are needed with the MSD intake.
Old 06-16-2015, 03:51 PM
Teching In

Sounds good! Did you find anything else need to be changed to make the atomic work for an LS1? I don't know if the issue with the water pump was fixed.. one guy that was putting one on his 4th gen was having problems with it clearing his stock water pump.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-manifold.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-airforce.html

Are these the threads you were talking about?
Old 06-16-2015, 04:20 PM
Teching In

Yeah, that is the exact one! One guy in there mentions problems with clearing his LS1 water pump, and the original poster says that it cleared his LS2 vette water pump no problem. So, I wasn't sure if MSD fixed this or if this is something you do in fact need to change to make it work? I'm trying to get a really good idea of everything that would need to be done to make the MSD intake work.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by J-FredZ28
Yeah, that is the exact one! One guy in there mentions problems with clearing his LS1 water pump, and the original poster says that it cleared his LS2 vette water pump no problem. So, I wasn't sure if MSD fixed this or if this is something you do in fact need to change to make it work? I'm trying to get a really good idea of everything that would need to be done to make the MSD intake work.
You can stuff an LS2 water pump on your LS1 to mitigate this issue. I think the fast has the same problem.

Quick Reply: MSD Atomic Airfoce LS1 intake manifold vs FAST 102MM intake