Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chronic Exhaust Leak (recurring)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 06:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Chronic Exhaust Leak (recurring)

I have a 2000 Z/28 (box-stock LS1). Several years ago, while my son was using it, he and his wife noticed a strong exhaust smell. They took it in to a shop and the guy told them that the exhaust manifold(s) had cracks. Not being there to verify, I priced replacements and found that Edlebrock bolt-ins were about the same price, so I bought a set. I replaced the stockers, but it didn't fix the smell. Shortly after that, I had to replace the cats and now the driver's side collector-to-cat gasket blows out. I put Hylamar exhaust gasket sealer on it, but now it looks like it blew again (although it sounds more like the flange is the culprit this time -- sounds too slow to be the collector). Sorry for the long intro, but all of that is to ask this:

Is there some trick that must be used when messing with the exhaust system to make it seal? I have never experienced this problem on any other engine. Also, is the driver's side collector-to-cat gasket problematic?

TIA
jeff
Old 07-16-2015, 06:39 AM
Teching In

UPDATE:

Ha! I stuck my head down in the engine compartment and it appears as if the #7 port is leaking at the flange. Maybe the Hylamar worked, after all. I know what I'll be doing this weekend! I hope the tired old girl will keep plodding along.
Old 12-25-2016, 01:10 PM
Teching In

Default Reposting comment

Originally Posted by jlhansen
I have a 2000 Z/28 (box-stock LS1). Several years ago, while my son was using it, he and his wife noticed a strong exhaust smell. They took it in to a shop and the guy told them that the exhaust manifold(s) had cracks. Not being there to verify, I priced replacements and found that Edlebrock bolt-ins were about the same price, so I bought a set. I replaced the stockers, but it didn't fix the smell. Shortly after that, I had to replace the cats and now the driver's side collector-to-cat gasket blows out. I put Hylamar exhaust gasket sealer on it, but now it looks like it blew again (although it sounds more like the flange is the culprit this time -- sounds too slow to be the collector). Sorry for the long intro, but all of that is to ask this:

Is there some trick that must be used when messing with the exhaust system to make it seal? I have never experienced this problem on any other engine. Also, is the driver's side collector-to-cat gasket problematic?

TIA
jeff
​​​​​
i had problem. A pain laying on my back replacing gaskets. I came up w this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c1JYhsl0Pq4

Quick Reply: Chronic Exhaust Leak (recurring)