Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to port a L92 throttle body? Who has pictures of a ported L92 throttle body?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 10:20 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to port a L92 throttle body? Who has pictures of a ported L92 throttle body?

Hi,

I would like to install an L92 throttle body on an LS3 intake manifold.

Hence I would like to port out the huge bump on the front and rear of the L92 throttle body.

I am aware that if you remove these bump you loose power if you install it on an L92 truck intake manifold. However I am using a LS3 intake manifold and hence the L92 throttle body is not ideal in its current shape.

I was wondering how the bumps have to be ported out? Should the shape be perfectly round afterwards? If so the gap between the butterfly valve and the throttle body will increase in my oppinion. Hence I am unsure how to port the throttle body exactly.

Could someone of you give me advise? I would also be thankful if you could post a picture from the front and back side of your ported L92 throttle.

I do not want to enlarge the throttle bore, just port the bumps out.

Thanks!
Old 09-21-2015, 12:40 PM
Teching In

Anyone?
Old 09-21-2015, 01:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

If your not sure what your doing I would give New Era a call, they did my LS2 for $75 bucks flat fee and depending on when they get it will ship it back to you that day, all you need to do is pay the shipping. They did a great job.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:35 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MonmouthCtyLS7
If your not sure what your doing I would give New Era a call, they did my LS2 for $75 bucks flat fee and depending on when they get it will ship it back to you that day, all you need to do is pay the shipping. They did a great job.
Porting a LS2 throttle body is easy. The L92 throttle body has a complex inner shape. I am not located in the US, so it is not worth it to ship my throttle body to the US and back.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Isn't the hump behind the blade there for a reason? I thought it had to do with off idle transition and tumbling the air into the back of the intake. I could be completely off on this.
Old 10-01-2015, 01:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Isn't the hump behind the blade there for a reason? I thought it had to do with off idle transition and tumbling the air into the back of the intake. I could be completely off on this.
If you are using the L92 throttle body with a truck intake you will loose hp if you port it. If you use the L92 throttle with a car intake, like I intend to do you gain hp if you port it. The inner shape of the L92 throttle body allows the air to better enter in the raised truck intake manifold. So it is great for a truck manifold but not so for a car manifold.

Quick Reply: How to port a L92 throttle body? Who has pictures of a ported L92 throttle body?