Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help...Switching brand of cats

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 04:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help...Switching brand of cats

I have SLP LT's and unforutnatly I have had to replace the cats now 3 times because of them scraping. I am SICK of replacing them!! Especially at $350.00 + shipping a pair. On ebay there are carsound cats for $60.00 each shipped. My drivers side cat is in the process of hollowing out, but the one on my passenger side is fine. Can I just replace the drivers side with a carsound, or will I have to replace them both? Will it fit right in, or will I have to get my Y-pipe modified? Also will I gain back any ground clearance by going with carsounds since they are oval instead of round?

I have a GMMG exhaust and I have heard that if you run an ORY it sounds like a farm truck and the rasp is unbareable. I want as little rasp as possible.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Old 06-07-2004, 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to the top
Old 06-08-2004, 01:49 AM
TECH Resident

Anyone?
Old 06-12-2004, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you have the slp y for tthe long tubes you need cats that are 11" long,the carsoud are 13".The only other ones I have found that are 11" are the dynomax powercats. I was having the same problem as you with the random tech cats.I have had the dynomax on for 5 months now with no problems,they have had 2 speedbump hits also.
In my opinion you can't get a much better flowing cat as they are metalic substrait instead of ceramic.