Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

erratic rpms on cold start

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 08:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default erratic rpms on cold start

I recently bought a 2001 WS6, 6mt, with 45k. This morning it would not stay idling. I had to feather the gas to keep the rpms up. If I let off the gas the engine would die. There are no check engine lights on. I live about 5 minutes from a highway and I had to feather the gas when ever i would start to slow down. I drive about 10 minutes on the highway and another 4 minutes to work.I had to feather it the whenever I had to slow down. Same thing on start up on my way home.

When I exited the highway I took it out of gear and coasted up an offramp, rpms dropped to 500 until I came to a complete stop then went up to ~700.

I'm completely new to these cars, seems like it could be a vacuum leak? The car is stock with the exception of muffler delete.

TIA
Old 09-30-2015, 03:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check for clogged or defective IAC valve/motor. Clean MAF with MAF cleaner. If oil type air filter, make sure it isn't over oiled. Look up vacuum leak check procedures.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I removed and cleaned the IAC and it fixed the problem and has been running good for the past few days.

Thanks for the suggestion!!

Quick Reply: erratic rpms on cold start