Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Start Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 08:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Start Issues

Yet again I turn to my trusty friends at LS1Tech....

So I rebuilt my engine this summer and I am trying to start it for the first time. However the car is being quite stubborn and is fighting me on it. The engine cranks but does not start. Ive broken it down into these three categories:

Compression
Spark
Fuel

The engine is timed correctly, I never removed the timing chain, so the crank and cam are still orientated appropriately with one another. I also took extra care when putting the cylinder heads back on, and tightening the rocker arms. So I am under the impression that the compression is not the issue. Please let me know what you guys think!

Second, Spark. I removed on of the spark plugs, they are brand new, and turned the car over. They definitely spark! So that is not the issue! This also removes the crankshaft sensor as a culprit! Because If I did not have that hooked up, the sparkplugs would never fire.

So this brings us to the fuel! I listened for the fuel pump to prime the motor and didn't hear anything! I posted about this on the forum and I figured out that I didn't have it grounded! Once I grounded the loose connection I heard the fuel pump work, and I also checked the fuel rail for gas ( I was in for a surprise when I pushed in that shrader valve haha). But the car STILL wont start. The only thing I can think of is the fuel pressure. I know it needs to be at 60 psi, I am going to the store to go get fuel pressure gauge, but do you guys have any Idea what it could be?? It's a stock rebuild with Speed Engineering Racing headers. Only the emission system is missing because I deleted the EGR and Catalytic converter. Could that be stopping the car from starting??

Thank you guys in advance!

Quick Reply: No Start Issues