Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Underdrive pulley removal tool choices

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Underdrive pulley removal tool choices

After researching some old threads I'm trying to decide which route to go with the puller tools.. I see there is an otc6667 that appears to be the best for removing the pulley without removing the radiator. I also see there's an oem 27139, but not sure if you need to remove the radiator for this? I would most likely buy the otc if it's the easiest, but if the oem can be rented and works without radiator removal I'll go that route and save money.. I already have a flex plate lock tool, arp bolt, and install tool bought from a member, so the puller is the last thing I need before install.

Another question I have is what are the chances changing the pulley at 125k miles will cause a leak without changing the seal? I've seen a few threads about leaks but not sure if it was from them heating the pulley or not.

Any info is greatly appreciated!
Old 01-01-2016, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

This is the OTC brand

This is the oem Chrysler style.. can't find a similar pic like the otc but looks similar.

No thoughts? Just want to make sure this will work without removing any other parts like the radiator.. I can get the OTC for $55 and the OEM version I'm sure I could potentially rent.. just want to do this right the first time.. I've read enough horror stories lol
Old 01-01-2016, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just figured out that i would only need to use this tool once because the powerbond/slp underdrive that I have needs a threaded style to pull it off when i do heads/cam in the future..so now I'm pushing more for a one time rental.. I will try the OEM version and hope it clears the radiator.. if not looks like it will get some fresh coolant lol..
Old 01-01-2016, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The otc one works just fine, I use it all the time
Old 01-01-2016, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good to hear! Thanks for the info.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Bullshit Harbor freight 3 jaw works fine. Not all sizes work, but they have like a 4/6/8" 3 set pack for about 20 bucks I think. Probably use the middle one out of it. They also have a $10 bolt puller set that will work great for your aftermarket balancer. $30 will have you set. I highly recommend the Hawks install tool also.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks man! Gotta love harbor freight! I'll stop in there next time I'm around one and get both sets just to have around for that price

Quick Reply: Underdrive pulley removal tool choices