Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QTP's coming in this week!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 11:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default QTP's coming in this week!

LT's and catted y from QTP should be arriving late this week, aside from new bolts and gaskets (stock from GM) is there anything else that i should need? Any of those experienced "if i knew this before i started" suggestions to throw out let me know...i have yet to do a mod that took a respectable amt of time for what it was. LOL so LT's i would imagine will probably take me the better part of a 12 hour day. I posted a thread on the connecticut F-body association askin if anyone would be around to help me out so that should help but any suggestions for makin the job easier are welcome. Thanks all!
Old 06-14-2004, 06:12 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget about a pair of 24" o2 extensions. Also, if you have thought about changing your spark plugs/wires, this would be a good time to do it.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:09 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, definetly change the plugs and wires now (at least the plugs anyway). It'll be so much easier.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good call w/ the o2 extensions....QTP was runnin a special and threw em in for free. Anything specific i need to know about the actual install? Special tools or parts the instructions may leave out? Thanks again.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey 99CamaroSS, i just installed my QTP LTs this past saturday. The headers are fantastic but i wish i could say the same for the ORY i got. Turns out that i'm having to drive my car open headers to Lanes for a custom y-pipe.

The ory-pipe was off towards the passenger side about a 1-1 1/2 inches. It would hit the passenger side floor panel if i did try to fit it together.

It sounds so badass once you get the headers on and fire up the car. If you haven't heard open headers you'll be surprised.

Like i said the headers are top notch but the y-pipe pretty much sucked.

Some install tips

Passenger side: Header slides in easy. Remove the heat shielding from the passenger side floor panel. Then the header slid right in on my car.

Driver side: Now this is where the bitching and cussing begins. I removed the oil filter and ended up unbolting the engine mount and jack up the engine slightly. Then just pushed the **** out of the header and finally it went in.

Once they are in they fit great. I don't think i have any areas where the headers will bang against.

Last edited by 2001 White Ws6; 06-14-2004 at 09:34 PM.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2001 White Ws6
Hey 99CamaroSS, i just installed my QTP LTs this past saturday. The headers are fantastic but i wish i could say the same for the ORY i got. Turns out that i'm having to drive my car open headers to Lanes for a custom y-pipe.

The ory-pipe was off towards the passenger side about a 1-1 1/2 inches. It would hit the passenger side floor panel if i did try to fit it together.

It sounds so badass once you get the headers on and fire up the car. If you haven't heard open headers you'll be surprised.

Like i said the headers are top notch but the y-pipe pretty much sucked.

Some install tips

Passenger side: Header slides in easy. Remove the heat shielding from the passenger side floor panel. Then the header slid right in on my car.

Driver side: Now this is where the bitching and cussing begins. I removed the oil filter and ended up unbolting the engine mount and jack up the engine slightly. Then just pushed the **** out of the header and finally it went in.

Once they are in they fit great. I don't think i have any areas where the headers will bang against.
Hmmmm interesting tip about the ory...i actually got the catted y for emissions purposes up here in ct and it was 500 bux so i'm gonna be pretty pissed if it doesnt fit. Is QTP takin back ur pipe and givin u a full refund? Otherwise...you didnt have to remove any a.c parts or undo the steering column, i was lookin at it tonight to see what i'm in for and it seemed like they would be a problem. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:18 PM
TECH Regular

The general consensus I get is that QTP headers are GREAT, but there are a fair amount of people who have fitment issues with there Y pipe. Yes, they use the flowmaster scavenger collector which makes their Y pipe unique, but the things gotta fit first!
Old 06-15-2004, 07:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn, i'm gonna try to get in touch w/ QTP to give em a heads up on "the word" about their y-pipes so if i have trouble they will expect to hear from me again. Has anyone ever had a fitment issue and was not able to get their money back?
Old 06-15-2004, 07:26 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Jeez, I hope everything goes smooth with your ypipe setup. I was going to go with the catted y pipe as well...
Old 06-15-2004, 07:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i hope the same...i was thinking about going with their ory..i may just have to get the merge collector and get a custom one
Old 06-15-2004, 07:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll let you guys know how it turns out...lol if it doesnt fit i'll just have to drive around w/ open headers!
Old 06-15-2004, 10:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Holy Sh*t!!!

Does anyone here know if $3.83 is normal for ONE bolt!!!??? I think thats ridiculous, can i just reuse my stockers?? Also $11 for ONE gasket...and they couldnt even tell me what kind it was...steel, composite or what not. This is Dan Perkins chevy.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone have any ideas before i go blow 40+ bux on stupid BOLTS!?
Old 06-15-2004, 12:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I bought the Stage 8 headers bolts. They are stainless steel and look great under the hood. I got them just for peace of mind but many people reuse the factory bolts.

I'm using the QTP ory it's just having to be modded a bit to get it to fit correctly. My car is currently at the shop for that reason. I drove there with open headers at 8:30am and i had a VERY VERY close call. As soon as i turned off my street a cop was turning my way at the light. So i assume i'm busted and start to already pull over and slow down for him. While i was slowing down the cop was looking and staring at us. He then made a u-turn and turned his lights and took off right pass me and seemed like he was chasing another car. I was in disbelief on how lucky i was. Anyways i continued to the shop only about 1 1/2 miles away from me.

As for the driver's side header i didn't remove the steering linkage or any a.c. lines/parts.

Like i said just pull the oil filter undo the engine mount and jack up the engine just a bit and it doesn't seem like it will fit but if you move it and push it hard enough it should slide in.

Let me know how your catted y fits. I'd originally was going to get the catted y and keep all emissions on my car but i said **** it and decided to run it without all that crap. I'd be irate spending 500 and it not fitting. I was pretty pissed about it but open headers made me forget it a bit.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:14 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

99camaroSS, I had my QTP's installed at J&M motorsports in manchester CT, the first word that comes to mind in regards to the y pipe you purchased is re-fabrication! If you are doing the install yourself, you'd better have a welder. Headers fit great, but that Y pipe is ghetto. Where in CT are you located, I live in Ellington, send me an e-mail, I can explain what had to be done and why. LJO524@aol.com Also, if you didn't buy O2 simms, you will either have to, or have the bung's welded into the Y, which was the route I went. if you wanna go the Simm route, I still have mine in the package, cost me 95 bucks + shipping, I'll let them go for what I paid. As for the bolts, I went with the stage 8 just for the fact that they are stainless and won't rust up and look like
Old 06-15-2004, 12:25 PM
TECH Regular

Guys, QTP will tell you they don't have fitment issues wit their Y pipe. I'm not saying everyone has had problems, but enough to be noted.
Old 06-15-2004, 02:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2001 White Ws6

Some install tips

Quick question. When you put the driver side header in did you take off the oil drain plug?

I bet you a million bucks you didn't, cause if you don't the headers don't slide in like the other sets I have installed.

Driver side tip: Remove the oil filter, and oil drain plug and put the header in...its that easy, trust me
Old 06-15-2004, 02:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2002 Trans Am
Quick question. When you put the driver side header in did you take off the oil drain plug?

I bet you a million bucks you didn't, cause if you don't the headers don't slide in like the other sets I have installed.

Driver side tip: Remove the oil filter, and oil drain plug and put the header in...its that easy, trust me
I will deffinatly try that, if i have to remove the filter i may as well do a full oil change so i'll take the plug out as well....thanks for the tip and i'll let you know if that helps.
Old 06-15-2004, 03:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't remember even having a problem with the oil drain plug. The problem was that the header was hitting part of the piece that is right above the oil filter. Also on the other side it was hitting a metal piece that i don't remember what that was now.
Old 06-15-2004, 03:26 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Alot of my problems with the y pipe was the spohn torqe arm mount that I have on my car, a 3/8 inch shim had to be made to move the mount down to clear the 4 inch collector. The thing that urked me about it was that the shop ended up spending about 3 extra hours refabricating stuff, and QTP's website has a picture of a car with a spohn torque arm on it, and their stuff installed. Don't get me wrong, I love the headers, some of the best quality stuff I have seen for any car, and the power gains were as good as the quality. If I could do it again, I would have bought the headers, bought the cat's, and just had the shop fabricate the Y with a 4 inch collector. Would have been abou the same price, but less headaches for them. For someone to install that setup themselves without a lift is not gonna be easy. At least not the y pipe part. If I had decided to go true duals, the QTP headers would be a best buy, hands down, I just don't like the look of Transam without any pipes in the cutouts in the back, and true duals aren't easy to rout thru the car, and weigh a ton too.