Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help understanding Borla exhausts

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 10:15 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need some help understanding Borla exhausts

Long story short I am looking for a new exhaust on my car as it is still bone stock and WAY too quiet. I finally heard a cat-back Borla exhaust on a stock car in person and it was just amazing in how it sounded. I had always just skipped by them as an option before as they are also quite pricey. (don't get me wrong, I am in Minnesota so I really understand the value of a stainless steel exhaust)

Here is where I am confused, according to the pictures I can find it appears that most of the exhaust must go out what is basically an open cut out with various plates I can put in to determine how much gets past. (hence the adjustable feature I assume)

So why doesn't everybody just put in a cut out on their current exhaust in the same place? It's not like you couldn't build a plate with a hole in it to adjust the sound level.

I am NOT knocking on Borla, their system sounded great and I have never heard anything negative about their quality, I just don't get how this works. Plus if I use the fully open plate what is the muffler actually for? Wouldn't nearly all the exhaust exit via the cutout as the path of least resistance?
Attached Thumbnails Need some help understanding Borla exhausts-14464_xlarge.jpg  
Old 05-04-2016, 01:38 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The cutout is mainly just to bypass the muffler. Muffler = loss of HP, plain and simple.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:15 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may also consider the new TSP catback:http://texas-speed.com/p-5187-texas-...d-cut-out.aspx

It has a cut out flange already on the system. You can either remove the plate or put an electric cut out in it to get real wild. Not to mention the system is at a really nice price point as well.

Lonnie
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 05-04-2016, 05:19 PM
Teching In

Looks nice, and the price is not to bad, You do need a carbon steel low cost option.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:54 AM
Staging Lane

I have definitely looked at all of the TSP options, certainly since I can get full headers and true duals for the price of the Borla cat back.

However I am still looking to figure out how Borla's actually work, with a cutout before the muffler and the fully open plate how is this any different than just putting a cut out before any muffler?
Old 05-06-2016, 06:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not any different except it comes preinstalled and with the different plates. I like mine, had it for the 3 years I've had the car.

Quick Reply: Need some help understanding Borla exhausts