Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harmonic balancer problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 12:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Harmonic balancer problems

My harmonic balancer on my t/a does not want to go on all the way.If you look at the balancer where it goes on the crank shaft there is a space about a 1/16" from being on all the way. It does not seem to want to go any farther on. I heated the center of the balancer with a propane tourch like I read that people do and that doesn't seem to work. When I took it off I didn't look at it closely.I could swear it was in more. Does it hurt anything of it sits out a little bit. What do you guys think.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:14 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Common problem. The nose of the crankshaft should be recessed 2.40 - 4.48 mm into the balancer bore. If you have a little more, it's not a problem as long as the belt pulleys line up with the balancer. Be sure to install the old balancer bolt and torque to 240 lbs ft. That ensures the pulley is properly seated on the crank. Then remove the old bolt and install the new bolt as per GM specs if you have an OEM bolt or spec for the ARP bolt if you're using that.

Quick Reply: Harmonic balancer problems