Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leaking at Oil sending unit rear of block

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 01:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil leaking at Oil sending unit rear of block

When we've fired up the engine for the first time, I have a pooling of oil around the oil sending unit hole in the rear of the block. Since I have a turbo I'm also using that port to supply fresh oil to the turbo. I have p/n 070.255 from Holden as a tee back there to supply oil to my turbo, sending unit, and oil pressure gauge. But the hole is tapped with straight threads, not NPT. And I don't have a crush washer or anything, so where is the mating surface between the block and the oil sending unit? Since I have metal on metal, there is a slight leak.
Old 11-04-2016, 04:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 804 Likes on 613 Posts

I believe those are pipe threads for the oil pressure guage. You may need to use teflon tape on your adapter.
Old 11-05-2016, 06:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

On my previous lq4 i thought my opsu was the culprit of the oil leaking in that same area but it was the cam sensor 0-ring.I replaced the 0-ring and was good to go. Both of those are common to leak and replace them at the sametime.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:50 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did figure out the problem. When we cleaned off the oil and started the car with a flashlight and mirror, we found the leak coming from the oil sending unit itself on top of the adapter. It just needed a 1/4 turn to fully tighten it. No more leaks and on the road finally!

Quick Reply: Oil leaking at Oil sending unit rear of block