Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dorman TRUCK intake..any results?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by SlasherVRGR
That's kind of a bad way to look at things, they're just cathedral port intakes. Ls1 is a different engine and intake than an lm7, ls6, ls2..

If someone tried selling me an lm7 claiming it was an ls1 I'd laugh in their face.

Haha well when u put it like that. Either way the 99 lm7 is still a gen 3 and so is an LS1. Both intakes will bolt
to each other and 90% of the parts will swap actually I think only the Pistons won't swap. Let's get over this and get back on topic.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by customblackbird
Haha well when u put it like that. Either way the 99 lm7 is still a gen 3 and so is an LS1. Both intakes will bolt
to each other and 90% of the parts will swap actually I think only the Pistons won't swap. Let's get over this and get back on topic.
Me and others are just trying to keep the info accurate. There are several other miss informative typo's in your first posts. I just pointed out one. LS1 refers to a 5.7L power plant that is all aluminum and came mostly in 97-04 Corvettes, 98-02 F bodies, and Early GTO's. It is also most of the ignorant crowd's way to refer to any GEN 3 and 4 SBC. That doesn't make it accurate info.
The following users liked this post:
54inches (10-12-2021)
Old 01-16-2017, 09:25 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Any results from this intake yet?
Old 01-16-2017, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Any results from this intake yet?

Nope. Not going to get my car running till spring. But my results will be scewed as I'm doing a custom cam and ported heads and TB at the same time.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well yesterday I spend about an hour and I ported all 8 runners and shaved off a few more of the tabs on the top of the intake. My aluminum cutting bits and electric high speed grinder literally took 5 min to cut each port. Love love love porting this nyon stuff lol. The tabs on the top of the intake took longer with a dremel but I'm still contemplating keeping the other tabs that hold the PCV hookup. I know it looks not as great but I need a port for the PCV and the one on the side points straight up. So if I use that I would have to find a 90 or 180 rubber or silicone fitting to connect to.

I ported and removed all the wedges in each intake tract and opened the area right below the injector bung a smidge. Port width is similar to stock but they don't have the injector side blocked off. This leaves a cavity behind it and thus would produce trubulance. The dorman is fully open and the port is taller due to this.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well yesterday I spend about an hour and I ported all 8 runners and shaved off a few more of the tabs on the top of the intake. My aluminum cutting bits and electric high speed grinder literally took 5 min to cut each port. Love love love porting this nyon stuff lol. The tabs on the top of the intake took longer with a dremel but I'm still contemplating keeping the other tabs that hold the PCV hookup. I know it looks not as great but I need a port for the PCV and the one on the side points straight up. So if I use that I would have to find a 90 or 180 rubber or silicone fitting to connect to.

I ported and removed all the wedges in each intake tract and opened the area right below the injector bung a smidge. Port width is similar to stock but they don't have the injector side blocked off. This leaves a cavity behind it and thus would produce trubulance. The dorman is fully open and the port is taller due to this.

Old 01-16-2017, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

The outward appearance looks a lot better with the tabs and posts removed. The biggest thing I don't like is PCV hose snaked and laying on top . Imo that has to go , I would reroute that and run it down the side. Looks like your keeping the port walls pretty straight, what is your port width on those now ?
Old 01-16-2017, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by omc8
The outward appearance looks a lot better with the tabs and posts removed. The biggest thing I don't like is PCV hose snaked and laying on top . Imo that has to go , I would reroute that and run it down the side. Looks like your keeping the port walls pretty straight, what is your port width on those now ?
i agree and it adds height to the intake right where I don't want it lol. But I need another viable option. I've thought about drilling and tapping the intake for a port at the rear but I don't see any material thick enough where I'm comfortable doing it.

I blended the port walls to match the original as I want the velocity to stay up. Worst thing to do is open it larger than the head intake port opening and cause a ridge on the head side this will act like a wall and limit flow and increase turbulence. If anything you want the intake to be slightly smaller or blended perfectly. These ports measure the same as stock .9600" width give or take small variances. Can't measure height as the dorman the injector area is included in it.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well guys... I couldn't leave it alone! I really wanted the stupid top PCV hose off and I figured I might as well. I figured out where I'm going to get my PCV hookup which I realized I have a 1/8" npt port in my TB spacer that I added for a meth nozzle or temp sender. Since it's behind the TB it will work! And I have a 1/8" to 3/8" hose barb in my bin of fittings!

So I got to work and grinded everything off! Whoop whoop it looks soo much better now. Can't wait to get this thing on the new PCV will run below the fuel rails to the back firewall where my oil air seperator is located. So very little should be seen and that leaves the intake open for viewing! Now I just hope my hood clears!

Old 01-17-2017, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Good pics and looks 100 % better without the PCV hose now and tabs deleted. Man, the webbing between the runners really sticks out now , if it were mine Id trim that down too !
Old 01-17-2017, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

haha yea I'm not going to do that. I dont want to weaken the intake at all as Im going to be pushing 12psi through it. IF it was a NA app I would remove them without hesitating. But as this intakes structural integrity is questionable I'm not willing to risk it at this time. They can always be removed down the line!
Old 01-17-2017, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

haha yea I'm not going to do that. I dont want to weaken the intake at all as Im going to be pushing 12psi through it. IF it was a NA app I would remove them without hesitating. But as this intakes structural integrity is questionable I'm not willing to risk it at this time. They can always be removed down the line!
Well just FYI the Dorman LS6 intake has failed under boost . its a different intake and does not have anything in common with yours. I don't know how much boost they were running , but my guess is was in the 20s . So you should be safe @ 12 psi
Old 01-17-2017, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well just FYI the Dorman LS6 intake has failed under boost . its a different intake and does not have anything in common with yours. I don't know how much boost they were running , but my guess is was in the 20s . So you should be safe @ 12 psi
Yup, that guy was running 14/15psi. But that intake is also just sonic welded. I prob wouldnt have tried to run this intake if I was pushing higher than 15psi.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just a few mock up teasers. I need to make a new front fuel crossover line as it's a few inches longer than what stock required.

Old 01-24-2017, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I believe that to see big gains with this intake it needs a full port job to all 3 sections . Imo the first 2" of the runner there is more to be gained , than cleaning up the bottom 3" of the runner. And this intake does have limitations, that not a whole lot can be done porting. No one has mentioned the lip right behind tb opening . And the number 2 runner opening , is a irregular shape and is pinched .
Old 01-26-2017, 05:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Damn I want one!!!

Thanks.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mocked up with fuel rails fillet mounted. Though I might have needed a 45* AN fitting but figured a way out as that's the only fitting I didn't have lol.

Everything bolted Up to the intake. I swapped out the injector orings as the dorman comes with 2 sets of different thickness. I swapped the thickest ones on. When I put mine originally in the slipped right into the intake with little fuss and I can see that being a boost leak. So the thicker orings made it nice and tight. Fuel line in the front was interesting to figure out. The dorman intake is overall just a bigger intake and fatter/rounder. I am going to have to figure out wiring harness routing and prob have to lengthen some wires.

Thinking of picking up aftermarket accessory brackets. Since I'm going more for looks I'm thinking something billet to match the supercharger on the other side to even out the engine bay.

pics for your viewing.

Fuel line done

Old 01-27-2017, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found a wood rasp works well for removing extra tabs etc.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just a few mock up teasers. I need to make a new front fuel crossover line as it's a few inches longer than what stock required.

The mounted fuel rails look good , did you do any mods to the bosses to mount it .Its hard to tell from the pictures.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

The mounted fuel rails look good , did you do any mods to the bosses to mount it .Its hard to tell from the pictures.
Nope. These are $35 fuel rails off eBay, not the super cheap ones but made in the USA from a liquidating speed shop. They came with billet brackets/blocks for LS1 car manifold mounting but he truck intake mounting point is much higher. So I made these brackets and they allow the fuel rail to drop down far enough to mount and seal the injectors correctly.

so only mods were to the fuel rail as I basically made my own brackets. The mounting points on the intake are unchanged.

Quick Reply: Dorman TRUCK intake..any results?