Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dorman TRUCK intake..any results?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by customblackbird
I actually just purchased one today from summit. Found it for $179.95 on ebay and had them price match it. Then I got $50 using my summit credit card.

I'm excited to see it in person. I have 2 OE truck intakes, 150k on my original and got a brand new OE for $70 to replace it. BUt I HATE how it looks but the original intake was solid and performed flawlessly with my supercharged 5.3 with about 12psi. I know the LS6 version of the dorman blew up around 14-15psi. but with my new custom cam and ported heads/TB im hoping to actually decrease boost to 10-11psi but go from 550hp - 650-670hp.

Im pulling the motor to make lots of upgrades and going to make it look nice too. The OE intake is a beast but I want it to look good. If I blow the dorman up i'll swap the new OE on as I know it will work.

I'm going to clean up the intake ports on the dorman and I'm going to run my stock ported 78 3 bolt TB. my only real worry besides it blowing up is the height. Mine barely clears my hood as of now.
That's a good buy and Summit will be shipping you A Dorman ....... but the one you saw on ebay for $179 is not a Dorman 615-183 . Its a 615-183X and is made by Super Auto supposedly.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by foxsl

This thing is apparently a monster as the dorman website says it's 11 inches tall while some Internet sources say the lsxRT 102 is 10.5 inches tall.
The Dorman is approximately 10.5" also, its 11" to the top of the boss for the intake cover .
Old 01-12-2017, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone port the crap out of one of these are give us some numbers! I want to do something for my SSS sometime this year.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by omc8
That's a good buy and Summit will be shipping you A Dorman ....... but the one you saw on ebay for $179 is not a Dorman 615-183 . Its a 615-183X and is made by Super Auto supposedly.

lol whoops! well yay for me then! I was wondering what the X stood for. Now Im super excited I got it for like 60-70% off then lol.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol whoops! well yay for me then! I was wondering what the X stood for. Now Im super excited I got it for like 60-70% off then lol.
Yes there is no difference between them, but the Dorman goes for $280 on up , so you saved at least $ 150 dollars.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It looks so damn tempting doesn't it....especially for high rpm flow.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When people basically give away factory truck intakes, what is the reasoning behind buying an inferior aftermarket version for nearly $200?
Old 01-13-2017, 12:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 8.Lug
When people basically give away factory truck intakes, what is the reasoning behind buying an inferior aftermarket version for nearly $200?
The quest for new knowledge to see if it makes power or doesn't rather than just assuming it won't and thinking only fast intakes make power and anything else can't possibly help.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Truck intakes can't be disassembled easily. The stock older truck intakes are more restrictive than the new type, and they look like poo. Also stepping up to the new truck intake (TBSS are well over the cost of the dorman) and that means 4 bolt TB, that means you need a matching aftermarket 4 bolt TB (cable in my case) and they aren't cheap (for a non chinese ebay one). Or you run an adapter. Also I dont think the new style truck intakes have provisions for the cable throttle bracket (all 3 bosses) as the come with 1 boss and DBW TBs.

The stock older truck intake has a dual plenum design (a round tube in the center with opening at the back into another plenum which restricts airflow to the back 4 cylinders. There is a company that cuts the top off the OE intake, and full opens the center tube/plenum and radius the intake entrances. But your stuck plastic welding the intake back together.

Dont get me wrong the stock truck intakes are better than most (LS1, LS2 and beat the LS6 up to 4500rpms) but they dont look the best which is why GM put covers on them. I think the dorman has promise in all departments since Dorman has access to the FAST lower intake molds they are better than stock as far as airflow is concerned and offer an upgrade in the looks department.

So i'm just wondering where and how you have come to the conclusion its inferior...
Old 01-13-2017, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Dont get me wrong the stock truck intakes are better than most (LS1, LS2 and beat the LS6 up to 4500rpms) but they dont look the best which is why GM put covers on them. I think the dorman has promise in all departments since Dorman has access to the FAST lower intake molds they are better than stock as far as airflow is concerned and offer an upgrade in the looks department.

So i'm just wondering where and how you have come to the conclusion its inferior...
**** your logic!

You have about as much luck in getting anyone to move away from what they "know" or is "proven" around here as you do convincing them that they could use an MSD intake over a FAST, or that maybe these intakes could work for their respective application.

I am strongly considering one of these three-bolt truck intakes to replace my home-ported LS6 if I find that it is choking our modded LS1 simply because it looks nicer than the TBSS intake I have.

Last edited by mOtOrHeAd MiKe; 01-13-2017 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mOtOrHeAd MiKe
**** your logic!

You have about as much luck in getting anyone to move away from what they "know" or is "proven" around here as you do convincing them that they could use an MSD intake over a FAST, or that maybe these intakes could work for their respective application.

I am strongly considering one of these three-bolt truck intakes to replace my home-ported LS6 if I find that it is choking our modded LS1 simply because it looks nicer than the TBSS intake I have.

I'm confused... I think you meant to quote the other guy... lol. Bc it sounds like your agreeing with me lol.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...

I'm confused... I think you meant to quote the other guy... lol. Bc it sounds like your agreeing with me lol.
I completely agree with you.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 246 Likes on 166 Posts

Thought you would know the answer. You know everything else.

Last edited by MuhThugga; 01-13-2017 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got one one ebay for $179. I'm building 71 cutlass with a 5.3 just a mild build. I'm sure it will work fine for my application. The reason was price and pure looks. The factory intakes look like poo. This intake is real easy to shave also. If this intake is crap, I'll try something else.
Name:  intake%20two.jpg
Views: 11952
Size:  174.0 KB
Name:  intake%20one.jpg
Views: 11971
Size:  161.4 KB
Old 01-13-2017, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wolfws6
I got one one ebay for $179. I'm building 71 cutlass with a 5.3 just a mild build. I'm sure it will work fine for my application. The reason was price and pure looks. The factory intakes look like poo. This intake is real easy to shave also. If this intake is crap, I'll try something else.
That is AWESOME! Looks like an SRT intake (in size and scale).

It is nice to have hood clearance, eh? I think that is also part of the problem that plagues most Tech members: being victims of the 4th Gen F-body platform and associated fitment issues.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 246 Likes on 166 Posts

I don't think any of the factory LS vehicles are able to fit a truck intake under a stock hood. The older cars do have it nicer with that sort of clearance. I'm interested to see the results of these intakes.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Very nice!

Loving the way that looks. Do you have any better shots of the intake shaving your doing? Im going to do the same and want to know how your going to smooth it out? It looks rough in your first pic and I want mine to blend in smooth.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

looks good. especially nice with the oldsmobile gold
Old 01-13-2017, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got the intake and gave it a thero look over and took measurements. My consensus is that it's a great looking intake and built as well if not better than the stocker.

Heres what I found:

1.) the Dorman intake weighs a solid 2 lbs more than the stocker.

2.) the dormans base is Extra reinforced and they state it's to help prevent warpage compared to stock.

3.) dormans and stock both have a 75mm TB opening. Perfect fit for the stock TB and a smooth transition and it's finish is better than the stocker on the inside.

4.) the dorman intake uses a different map sensor than in the pics. The stock truck map has 2 clips on the sides and it locks the map down. Dormans pics show the same thing but this one looks more like the stock LS1 car which has the one mounting bolt of the side to hold it in. This is a good thing bc it's easier to get the car style map sensors. But I have seen that the truck map will still work and the bolt still holds it down. I tested mine and it fit like a charm... happy too bc my GM 3 bar is basically new and not cheap lol.

5.) dorman did away with the bolts through the intake on the underside. Now it looks like it's bolted together at the front and back from the underside and the. They use the intake bolts to the head to keep the rest together. It comes shipped with nuts on the end of the bolts to keep it all together I presume. This is a good thing as it suggests the intake is easily disassembled and can be put back together easily.

6.) a stock style EGR block off plate will work with the dorman. I had a nice one and threw it on for some pics. I had to use the dorman bolt bc it's not a brass insert like stock.

7.) the fuel rail mounts and he injector bungs sit higher than the stocker by alittle bit.

8.) the dorman only uses brass inserts for the TB and one mounting tab at the top for the engine cover.

Heres the only negatives

1.) no brass inserts for the fuel rails and throttle cable bracket.

2.) the reinforcement base is bulky and the hole for the injector is large and looks slightly blocked from the underside so it should be ported a smidge to work better. I wouldn't think this would take more than 15-20min.

3.) the gasket service of the intake in the ports needs to be cleaned up a good bit and that's the most work.

Other than that the intake looks real good. It's heavy and solid and very clean. Looks amazing next to the stocker. Will look better after I remove some of the crap on top. But everything bolts right up.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Great to hear and it's absolutely night and day different internally than the tube style nbs/nnbs/tbss intakes as it's open as seen in pics, like a car intake. A proper full tune would be wicked to see what it can do. Old threads mentioned half a$$ed tuning where the results were so inconclusive so with proper tuning, it would be awesome to see what this intake can do BEFORE porting and AFTER smoothing out the little wedges in the reachable portions of each runner.

Quick Reply: Dorman TRUCK intake..any results?