Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those who have bought Texas Speed engines question

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 09:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Those who have bought Texas Speed engines question

Hi all, I just bought a 99' Trans am that supposedly has a Texasspeed short block. I emailed them and they said they have no record under the previous owners name. They did tell me that the motors they build are marked on the block just under the head. (Passenger side of block right in front of the head???) The motor is supposed to be three years old so I don't know if they marked them back then. Any personal experience you can share would be great.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by codyvette
Hi all, I just bought a 99' Trans am that supposedly has a Texasspeed short block. I emailed them and they said they have no record under the previous owners name. They did tell me that the motors they build are marked on the block just under the head. (Passenger side of block right in front of the head???) The motor is supposed to be three years old so I don't know if they marked them back then. Any personal experience you can share would be great.
I purchased a used one from a well known member here back in 2010

It had no markings on it that I could tell, just a plain Jane Ls6 block.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:27 AM
TECH Resident

Funny how we cross paths so often. LOL Thanks for the info.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:51 PM
TECH Resident

I got the motor out today. It has the LM4 5.3 casting numbers. I believe it is a Texas speed sold shortblock though they say they engrave all there built shortblocks in front of the head. Perhaps it was built by another machine shop and sold by Texas Speed. Anyhow, the motor seems to be healthy and I am super happy for what I paid for the entire car. I'm gonna part it out and make more than my money back even keeping the motor/transmission. Anybody else out there bought a TSP shortblock LM4/LS1 that is not engraved?
Old 01-28-2017, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought one from them in i think 2009 or 08 and back then they didnt have any type of ingravements.. i think the newer motors do have them etched on the block

Quick Reply: Those who have bought Texas Speed engines question