Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quiet Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 11:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quiet Muffler

This has been talked about 100 times but looking for some options. I have a see through Magnaflow muffler right now. My car has LT headers, no cats and just installed a big cam!

The exhaust note ins't great. Sounds great at an idle and good when WOT. It's far too loud driving through town though, and in mid RPM's sounds pretty raspy. So i was thinking about doing an electric cut out for when i want it loud and then a quieter muffler.

I still want it to have a good muscle car sound but not to drone all my neighbors out. Does anyone have any suggestions on what muffler will help me achieve this?
Old 02-23-2017, 12:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I use a Borla with a Borla specific electric cut out. It is really quiet when closed and loud as F when open. I mounted the switch in the console. I have done this to several cars. I also liked the set up I had a while back on a different car. It had a factory muffler with the electric cutout under the floor pan void on the passenger side. It will still sound quite nice with the cutout closed because of the cam, headers, etc. With the cutout open they make great power.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:56 AM
Launching!

Moroso Spiral flows were my answer to the same question.

Not too loud, but definitely still have muscle car tone.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Factory muffler setup or do you have it dumped under the car? If stock location muffler, I had a Dynomax direct fit on my old z28 that sounded pretty good and wasnt too loud cruising. I didnt have a cam in that car but it did have LTs and ORY.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Magnaflow seem to be the quietest to me.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:14 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Magnaflow seem to be the quietest to me.
I have TSP's new catback which has a Magnaflow-esque muffler on it. Very quiet and tolerable with LT's and an ORY compared to the old LM1 setup I had. When I want to be heard I just take the cutout plate off. Need to get around to buying an e-cutout.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KingJacobo
Moroso Spiral flows were my answer to the same question.

Not too loud, but definitely still have muscle car tone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYayde3PFQY
Sounds great, I don't have duels but will look into the Moroso
Old 02-24-2017, 02:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I decided to install dynamat to keep the sounds out of the car. As long as I can carry on a conversation inside the car I dont give a *** if its load outside. I just can't be happy with ANY muffler I have so this is my answer.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:03 PM
11 Second Club

I ran a Hooker Aerochamber when I daily drove the car. It was quiet until you decided to get it on. I needed something relatively quiet when i was heading out for work early in the morning, and if I was out late I didn't want to wake the neighborhood everytime I came home.

Not sure if u listened to the Ls1 Sounds pages already... but here is the url to the Hooker section. Check out any other brands you may be thinking about to see if anyone uploaded how they sound. I used it as a reference many years ago when trying to decide what to get...i'm pretty sure it was pre YouTube...lol
http://dodds.cc/chad/garage/z28/ls1_sounds/hooker.htm
Old 06-24-2019, 08:48 AM
Teching In

you have any photos of your set up? and would you know how loud (decibles) it is at idle and cruising.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

You need to increase the case size. Something like 18" minimum case size should be good. I have a 21" Dynomax ultra flow stock style muffler (straight through perf core), 3" inlet and dual 2.5" outlets (stock Fbody style). I ran that (no cats) 5.3 supercharged with LTs into a single 3" into the muffler and dual 2.5s out. Car was pretty quiet and easy to cruise on. Better tone than the summit chambered muffler that came wit the catback (dynomax is deeper but not louder). But I ran duals with dual 3" on the same car with a 521cuin BBF and changing from dual 14" mufflers to dual 18" mufflers made a huge difference in noise as well.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by customblackbird
You need to increase the case size. Something like 18" minimum case size should be good. I have a 21" Dynomax ultra flow stock style muffler (straight through perf core), 3" inlet and dual 2.5" outlets (stock Fbody style). I ran that (no cats) 5.3 supercharged with LTs into a single 3" into the muffler and dual 2.5s out. Car was pretty quiet and easy to cruise on. Better tone than the summit chambered muffler that came wit the catback (dynomax is deeper but not louder). But I ran duals with dual 3" on the same car with a 521cuin BBF and changing from dual 14" mufflers to dual 18" mufflers made a huge difference in noise as well.
Do you have photos of your duel set up. Which 18" mufflers, are they in the back?
Old 08-22-2019, 11:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by customblackbird
What 18" mufflers did you use, photos of set up?
Old 08-23-2019, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by BluebirdLS
What 18" mufflers did you use, photos of set up?

I don't have it on the car anymore as I sold it a long time ago. But I needed the dual 3" for the 521 BBF in my 87 TA. Then I switched to a 5.3 with a centri and went with a single 4" which was annoying on the street so I pulled it and went with a single 3" with an electric cutout for when I want to get rowdy (which is my favorite thus far).

I have some pics of the install and differences on the car as well as the mufflers which you can see here. The 14" chambered thrushes were swapped out for 18" Maxflow's and they did a great job toning it down... a much deeper tone which is less "loud" compared to the chambered thrushes.
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/engi...true-dual.html
Old 08-29-2019, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

SLP Dual/Dual set up (factory) is what I run with an E cutout....... Perfect for whatever mood I am in
Old 08-29-2019, 03:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 801 Likes on 611 Posts

My Gibson is fairly mellow

Quick Reply: Quiet Muffler