Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone lowered with dual cutouts in the Y?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 10:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anyone lowered with dual cutouts in the Y?

Hows the ground clearence? Does anyone have the dual cutouts with the QTP openers? Im going back to a normal type exhaust, but Im looking into the dual cutouts with openers so I can have it quiet when I want and have all hell break loose when I want
Old 07-03-2004, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you dont go with electrical cut outs i think you'd be ok. considering you could put them right at the header collectors. if you want electronic valves though, location could be different. not sure though, do a search in the handling section i found some good stuff there considering we are looking to do the same thing.
Old 07-03-2004, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

btw for the sole purpose of ground clearance after lowering the car im going to be putting 1 cut out near the catback, probably not the best place for the most hp but it will give me the sound, youwont be able to see it that well, and ill have ground clearance without issue
Old 07-03-2004, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've got dual electric cutouts in the Y, and I'm lowered.

Ground clearance isn't too great, but I get by. I originally had G2 springs but they were way too low. Now I have Hotchkis springs and I can get by just fine. My y was custom made, but there just isn't any room under there for it to tuck up.

Two cutouts will fit after the collectors on the headers. Electric cutouts WILL NOT fit right after the collectors. Some playing around will need to be done.

Sound, at WOT is incredible (basically open headers). Part throttle is just ok. I don't mind it too much. It's really loud at all times because the cutouts are dumping out right underneath your seat. It is really cool to open them at random times and scare the crap outta people.

As far as gains...I wasn't happy at all. I gained 6 rwhp peak over my Hooker catback. And when I say peek, I mean the last 300-400 rpms before my rev limiter.

Anyways, I think I touched base on most of it. If you see me around with the RevExtreme guys at all (which isn't often, but I'm around sometimes), just come over and take a look at my car. I don't have pictures unfortunatly, but you'd get a good idea from just looking too.
Old 07-03-2004, 06:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im not lowered and have dual cutouts and have knocked the **** outta them a few times
Old 07-03-2004, 07:26 PM
TECH Addict

I had dual y-pipe with electric cutouts, and because of the position of the electric motors. I hardly had any ground clearance. Proably about 3" maybe.
Old 07-03-2004, 07:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hell i wish i had 3", im working with under 2 right now (damn gf is always complaining about it )
Old 07-04-2004, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Tally TransAm
hell i wish i had 3", im working with under 2 right now (damn gf is always complaining about it )

My duals have the same problem

Damn, I wonder if I could ask Barry a Q on why he couldnt make the plate mount in any way by making the 3 holes long and slotted so you could move the motor to where you want it (like against the body) instead of just the 3 single holes......

QTP... you listening
Old 07-04-2004, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did have the QTP y with the dual cutouts and it's the biggest piece of **** i've put on my car so far. To begin with the whole thing does not fit worth a damn and the clearance with it was terrible, ecspecially on the drivers side, the flange where the cutout bolts on to is a good 1/2 inch lower then the pipe and it would scrape a lot, i actually had it pull the pipe off the header collector a few times because the flange would catch on something and just drag the whole pipe off, what a pita that was. So IMO if you want to go with the dual cutouts i would get a good muffler shop to custom make you a y and just play around with the position of the cutouts and you may be able to get enouth clearance, by the way my car is lowered with hypercoil springs, good luck.
Old 07-04-2004, 07:04 PM

Thanks for the info. I wasnt going to get the QTP Y. Im getting the Kooks Y and then I was going to add in 2 cutouts. IMHO, theres no reason for a $600 Y pipe. Cutouts are only like $35/ piece, though his Y is pretty nice looking.
Old 07-04-2004, 07:07 PM

Then again, maybe I wont need them. Im getting the Hooker CB and Ive seen cutouts gain VERY little of the CB itself. Some 3 RWHP and one 6 RWHP. 6 HP isnt worth the $$$$ and time IMHO.
Old 07-04-2004, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just a suggestion, but have you thought about going with boom tubes? The clearance is good and it sounds mean as hell.
Old 07-04-2004, 07:33 PM

Whats a boom tube?
Old 07-04-2004, 10:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Boom tubes are what the nascars use. There is are a few memebers that have them and they look great. Just do a search on boom tubes
Old 07-05-2004, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

dude you dont want a boom tube its too loud, louder than your setup. the hooker catback flows really well. im going to still put a 3 inch cut out in the I pipe. I had this similar set up (only with 2.5 inch piping and cutout in the I) with the hooker catback, and it sounded amazing. you get the tone of the catback plus the depth of the cutout makes for a wicked combo. and you can even keep the cutout open and its not too bothersome to drive everyday, which is what i need now and i think this is your reasoning if i recall correctly.

I ordered my hooker catback just gotta order a Y pipe and im all set. i "should" have it all installed by friday, if so and you haven't ordered your stuff ill let u know how the single cuto ut sounds.

i have a few sound clips from a friend of mine, it was pouring rain so i was sliding all over the place when we did it but it can give you an idea of the sound. its rediculous.
pm me for a link.
Travis
Old 07-05-2004, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Boom tubes are no louder than a dual cutout y-pipe, i've heard them both. The Boom tube just has a different tone to it. These are boom tubes. http://www.drgas.com/catolog.asp?id=2
Old 07-05-2004, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

maybe not but you can cap cutouts boom tubes are that loud allthe time. i think country boy is shooting for a more daily drivable set up witht he option of going wide open and loud as hell when he wants
Old 07-05-2004, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by slik98z
maybe not but you can cap cutouts boom tubes are that loud allthe time. i think country boy is shooting for a more daily drivable set up witht he option of going wide open and loud as hell when he wants
Hes right, I have TDs now and I practically cant stand it anymore I want something that is fairly quiet and flows damn good (hence the Hooker CB) and when I want it loud and all out, I can uncap the cutouts, but with what people are saying about the ground clearence, I dont think Im going to do the duals cutouts in the Y
Old 07-05-2004, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

just do one in the I pipe, trust me you'll love it. im trying to find a sound clip o fmine. a buddy of mine mounted a mic in the rear hatch to record this thing cause it was so ******* sweet sounding. only issue was it was pouring outside so i couldn't shift cause i kept slipping. So it sounds like im even worse at driving than i really am lol ill try to find those here shortly and i can post a link to them for you if you wish
Old 07-05-2004, 05:17 PM

Thats the thing though... I wanted them in the Y for the absolute best flow... I wouldnt be driving with them open very often, mostly for racing and dyno purposes.

Quick Reply: Anyone lowered with dual cutouts in the Y?