Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on exhaust setup

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 02:04 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question on exhaust setup

In the next few weeks I think I might finally break down and order some Pacesetter headers. I plan on getting either two 2 1/2 in. or two 3 in. pipes go straight from the header and dump before the axle without any cats or mufflers (thus basically running open header). I know this setup will be VERY loud, but I would like to know about how much horsepower and torque I will lose from this setup without any tuning at all? Also, do you think I could just get some uncoated header and then use a type of spray paint that doesn't rust, like rustoleum (I don't care what it looks like at all, just as long as it performs)?
Old 07-05-2004, 07:03 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

why not just get a Y pipe and run dual cutouts after the collectors. do yourself a favor, spring the the ceramic coating.
Old 07-05-2004, 02:53 PM
Staging Lane

Well, the method I mentioned would be a lot cheaper since piping shouldn't cost much and a friend of mine could weld it on for free. Since the Trans Am is not my daily driver I don't care to ever quiet it down. I would expect about a 30 rwhp gain with tuning over what I'm running now because of the headers, but I would think I would lose a bit without, right?
Old 07-05-2004, 05:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldnt use rustoleum on anything that gets hot. Instead; VHT makes a procduct called "Flame Proof" (available from JEGS) its rated at 1200º for the clear coat and 1500º for other colors. After usage it supposedly cures and becomes chemical resistant as well. I have the clear on my headers (sprayed over the jethot coating) and the flat aluminum on the rest of my exhaust. So far its holding up well, but Ive only put about 300 miles on the car since its been installed.

-T
Old 07-05-2004, 05:13 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you! I've heard that the coating on the pacesetters comes off after a few years, so I was just wanting something to help with the rust that won't set me back $100.
Old 07-05-2004, 05:34 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NightKidWS6
Thank you! I've heard that the coating on the pacesetters comes off after a few years, so I was just wanting something to help with the rust that won't set me back $100.
the pacesetter headers for the ls1 havent even been arround for a few years. if you still want your method i'd at least get an h pipe for scavenging.