Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust quieting down?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 02:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Exhaust quieting down?

Has anybody ever noticed their new exhaust quieting down after a few hundred miles? I had a dynomouth setup on my Z, but after installing headers, I switched to a custom 2.5" true dual setup with cats. When I first fired her up I remember how LOUD and DEEP the exhaust was thumping. I figured I had maybe about a week to live before my neighbors had me outfitted with a pair of cement shoes. Anyway, a week later, and the exhaust is quite mellow and has definately toned down quite a bit. Its not nearly as obnoxious sitting in my driveway idling for a minute in the mornings. What gives? Is it simply the inside of the tubing getting coated with black exhaust soot that muffles the sound?

Curious. -T
Old 07-06-2004, 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very common, especially with stainless.
Old 07-06-2004, 03:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

I thought it was just the fact that you get used to the loudness. When I first got my car I thought it was loud as *****, now it just dosent do it for me anymore, so im going with even less muffler
Old 07-06-2004, 03:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No way, definately not just getting used to it. My brother who was around on the first day, as well as two different neighbors all heard it loud as hell on the first day. Now they all say that its quiet. My coworkers who just heard it for the first time today say it isnt any louder than my last exhaust. As for myself, Im very positive that its not simply in my head. I though it might have been in my head when my first DynoMouth setup was installed. I figured I just got used to that one, but now, I am positive there is a break in period for a dynomax bullet muffler.

FWIW, -T
Old 07-06-2004, 03:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by stang killer
I thought it was just the fact that you get used to the loudness. When I first got my car I thought it was loud as *****, now it just dosent do it for me anymore, so im going with even less muffler

If I dirve my 00 a lot then I get used to it. Everyone will tell me its loud as heck but I'll be "No its not, no one notices me coming down the road anymore" :rotfl:

Since my 02 is quiet and I drive it most of the time if I turn on the 00 I'll be like "Wow thats thing is loud and sounds mean!"
Old 07-06-2004, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope there's a breakin on dynomax bullets. I have longtubes, cats, and bullets on my C5 with cutouts right after. It's unbelievably loud right now.

Dope
Old 07-06-2004, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

I've noticed this too, when I got true duals installed on my ramcharger it was loud and mean but started quieting down after about a week. I wasn't sure why though. Also when I got the Magnaflow I thought it was very tough sounding and after a couple days it kinda quieted down. I think it's the computer compensating somehow for the lower backpressure.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Carbon coating the insides of the exhaust system making the sound waves reflect back less.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:02 AM
TECH Regular

for me its in my head...i always drove with the cutout closed, and when i took it off i thought it was loud as hell..now its really not so loud and i need louder...but i have the stock y and cats and all that.