Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cats are in the car

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 10:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cats are in the car

Went to Budget Exhaust this morning in Burlington (Great guys, have a mandrel bender there and everything. Lots of custom race work)

Threw dual carsound cats in my Ypipe and flanged the Ypipe to make it easy to drop.

Cats went in perfectly. Never had a chance to get on it hard but power still feels pretty good.

I have to physically weld AIR tube pickups to the headers. They came with my Kit but I think ARE has them. When I get the tune touched up I'll try to locate them.

I am also going to make 18 inch long 3 inch diameter extensions off my headers and a flange on the int pipe so I can drop the full exhaust and run open headers with extensions for all out track days. (rental or something similar)

cheers,
Chris

Now for more gear, more tire and get the injector scaling touched up at ARE
Old 07-16-2004, 11:00 AM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Chris u and I are on the same page.
The cam change is an interesting thought for me but I'm still undecided.

I'm putting on 17's real soon plus a quieter muffler with cutout.
The older I get the less I really care about drag racing every weekend.

I wanna drive the car,after all I did pay alot of $$$ for it.
Good luck with the setup,Having TQ like that u have in a street car is fun.
Old 07-16-2004, 01:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

I know what you mean JS.

I have the FULL interior back in the car and with the cats and dynomax muffler it is nice and quiet and civilized. The only thing that feels race car like is the spool.

I thought about a posi but I dont think it'll live with 5Krpm dumps and a decent tire

Going to do a few more chassis and suspension tweaks (airbag or solid rear swaybar, adjust torque arm angle) and just enjoy the car.

I dont mind the extra weight with all this torque and high 10's to low 11's@124-126mph emissions legal at full weight on a street legal tire is plenty fast for me
Old 07-16-2004, 09:10 PM
TECH Resident

I'm not at the power level you guys are but I really like the Cats in my Y-pipe....it really cleans the sound up.
Old 07-16-2004, 10:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cats aren't needed. SLP Dual/Dual does the job nicely
Old 07-16-2004, 11:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you put both cats right off the collectors? How is the clearance? I am trying to get some carsound cats welded in cause of the rasp and the **** at meineke said they would have to weld them to the collectors and the y-pipe because if they left them slip on i could easily swap them out for race pipes.
Old 07-17-2004, 09:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

I wouldnt let them touch it in that case. The drivers side cat can go on the bend just past the tranny mount. Passenger side can go in the normal place but NOT right off the collector.
I would take the car somewhere else.

Wilwaxu I need the cats as they are doing roadblocks up here and doing spot checks for cats. About 50 people in our area have gotten 500 dollar tickets in the last month. (The fockers are outside the tracks and everything. Not a good way to discourage street racing is it!)
Old 07-17-2004, 10:03 AM
12 Second Club

i kno your in toronto and stuff....but do you think theyd do spot checks for cats back in the states?!?
Old 07-17-2004, 11:25 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 02WS6Bird
i kno your in toronto and stuff....but do you think theyd do spot checks for cats back in the states?!?
I guess it all depends on where you live. Around here in the Philly area, to be honest they couldn't be bother to stop people to check for cats. Now if you get pulled over for street racing, anything goes.

Just drive intelligently and realize that it's not worth drawing attention to yourself when you're not 100% legal.

Hey Joel... I think we're finally on the same page... Hope to see you around sometime at a car show... either at Hooters next week or at the Hatboro car show the following Saturday