Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on Valve cover install

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question on Valve cover install

I bought a new set of valve covers. They do not have any of the vent tubes for the pcv, or oil filler cap. I can drill the necessary hole for the oil filler cap, but my question is can I just plug off the tube runs from the tb to the ps valve cover and then use breathers on the valve covers. Or do I need to do the LS1 to LS6 PCV mod.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:55 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm running dual breathers with no PCV system. I don't see any effects but I've heard it can be bad for the rings.
Old 07-27-2004, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nobody can help with this?
Old 07-27-2004, 05:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of valve covers did you get?
Old 07-27-2004, 05:58 PM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Are you saying that crankcase pressure is a good thing

Originally Posted by theblur98ss
I'm running dual breathers with no PCV system. I don't see any effects but I've heard it can be bad for the rings.
Old 07-27-2004, 07:41 PM
9 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/195138-will-pcv-setup-work-already-searched.html
Old 07-27-2004, 08:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WILWAXU
What kind of valve covers did you get?
GEN III
Old 07-27-2004, 08:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you trying to tell me this is what I have to do?
Old 07-27-2004, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SS125
Are you trying to tell me this is what I have to do?
Okay, I've read that post and it's even more confusing. It doesn't appear to be a definative answer here. I understand about the build up of pressure on the cylinders. Wouldn't the breathers allow the buildup to escape and at the same time take in fresh air. While at the same time this is occuring, I could leave the pcv in place and just run a line to a catch can. Would this work?
Old 07-28-2004, 07:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ttttt
Old 07-28-2004, 05:18 PM
9 Second Club

Okay, I've read that post and it's even more confusing. It doesn't appear to be a definative answer here. I understand about the build up of pressure on the cylinders. Wouldn't the breathers allow the buildup to escape and at the same time take in fresh air. While at the same time this is occuring, I could leave the pcv in place and just run a line to a catch can. Would this work?
Didn't mean to confuse you more! Yes, you can leave the PCV in place sucking through a catch can and use a breather - but in my opinion, I would hook it up like I said in the other post - suck on the DS valve cover with the PCV and put the breather on the PS valve cover, and plug the fresh air inlet on the TB. Make sense?
Old 07-28-2004, 05:54 PM
On The Tree

My head is going to explode
Old 07-28-2004, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BLK02WS6
Didn't mean to confuse you more! Yes, you can leave the PCV in place sucking through a catch can and use a breather - but in my opinion, I would hook it up like I said in the other post - suck on the DS valve cover with the PCV and put the breather on the PS valve cover, and plug the fresh air inlet on the TB. Make sense?
Somewhat, remember, right now I have absolutely no holes in these valve covers, plain billet, no air tubes, only the valve cover bolt holes. So I would really like to keep them pretty, if you know what I mean. So, what if i used a breather on the back side (like under the cowl) on the driver side (you've seen these breathers, they push onto the valve cover and have a tube coming off of the breather) and have that line running to the pcv valve. On the ps, I can put the same type of breather (again on the back side of the valve cover under the cowl) and if it's best to run the line from the tb to there, that would be my fresh air intake, with the pcv providing the suck from the breather on the ds. I can still use the catch can, I think. Does any of this make sense?
Old 07-29-2004, 03:53 PM
9 Second Club

Somewhat, remember, right now I have absolutely no holes in these valve covers, plain billet, no air tubes, only the valve cover bolt holes. So I would really like to keep them pretty, if you know what I mean. So, what if i used a breather on the back side (like under the cowl) on the driver side (you've seen these breathers, they push onto the valve cover and have a tube coming off of the breather) and have that line running to the pcv valve. On the ps, I can put the same type of breather (again on the back side of the valve cover under the cowl) and if it's best to run the line from the tb to there, that would be my fresh air intake, with the pcv providing the suck from the breather on the ds. I can still use the catch can, I think. Does any of this make sense?
Yep, sounds like it would work great. With that, you may not even need a catch can. I would think that type of breather would help prevent sucking up any oil. You said above you have the oil fill covered, so that should do it. I guess I didn't catch that they were billet covers. Post a pic when you get it done - should look nice!
Old 08-09-2004, 10:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I want to make sure I understand this before I go having somebody start drilling holes in these chromed billet covers. First, I'm going to have 3 holes drilled in the valve covers. Two on the passenger side and one on the drivers side. The two on the passenger side will have one somewhere near the front for the oil fill. Or, can I just use the breather hole for an oil fill hole also and therefore only drill one hole in the valvecover. The other will be in the back under the cowl which will have a breather with a tube coming off of it, which the tube will run to the fresh air intake tube off of the throttle body. The driver side will have the same style breather with a tube running off of the breather running to the pcv valve. Everybody think will work?
Old 08-10-2004, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I want to make sure I understand this before I go having somebody start drilling holes in these chromed billet covers. First, I'm going to have 3 holes drilled in the valve covers. Two on the passenger side and one on the drivers side. The two on the passenger side will have one somewhere near the front for the oil fill. Or, can I just use the breather hole for an oil fill hole also and therefore only drill one hole in the valvecover. The other will be in the back under the cowl which will have a breather with a tube coming off of it, which the tube will run to the fresh air intake tube off of the throttle body. The driver side will have the same style breather with a tube running off of the breather running to the pcv valve. Everybody think will work?
Can somebody help me to tell me I'm going in the right direction with this?
Old 08-10-2004, 10:25 PM
On The Tree

Why not just put a breather in one valve cover and use the ls6 valley cover hooked up to the TB? That seems the simplest and cleanest route.
Old 08-10-2004, 11:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cfi_luz
Why not just put a breather in one valve cover and use the ls6 valley cover hooked up to the TB? That seems the simplest and cleanest route.
That's great, but I have an 01 SS, do I have the LS6 valley cover, or do I have to do the LS1 to LS6 PCV Conversion that is on LS1Howto.com?
Old 08-11-2004, 01:29 AM
On The Tree

You would have to do the conversion found on ls1howto, but it should only run you around 35-40.00 total in parts and you should not have to do any cutting on the block since you have an 01.
Old 08-11-2004, 05:36 AM
9 Second Club

You are on the right track. You can decide if you want a seperate oil fill or not, that doesn't really matter - strictly preference. Check into the billet breathers like you are talking about - they make one with a PCV built in and one with only the elbow - I think Jegs sells them - they would look nice. If it were me, I would get one each of the billet breathers and put them in the front and use one as the oil fill. Then get braided covering for the hoses to the TB and manifold. You shouldn't need a catch can with those breathers, and you don't need the LS6 valley pan either.