Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy the x-pipe or x-pipe kit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 12:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buy the x-pipe or x-pipe kit?

I finally have the ball rolling (so to speak) on getting my true duals built. I ordered my headers, my Sweet Thunders, and now I need help on the x-pipe. I'm going with Summit Racing stuff either way, but should I spend $33 on the x-pipe junction alone or $90 on the x-pipe kit, with the junction and four 40 degree mandrel-bent sections? http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...4921571+308119
Is it worth it? Would they work with my car? Please help. Thanks.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:41 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm always skeptical of "universal" kits, especially because putting duals on an F-body means a lot of custom work. Less if your doing dumps, but you can probably plan on modifying those pipes (at least a little) to get everything to fit up right. If you can end up using those pipes, then the extra $57 for the four mandrel bends is a good price. Are you welding it? If so, then you won't need those clamps (whether or not you would want to use U-clamps anyway is another question). What are you plans: are you building them yourself, welding or clamping, dumps or over the axle, are you good at custom-fabbing stuff?
Old 10-17-2004, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm dumping them, and having them fabricated as I have no experience with welding or anything of the sort. I wanted to weld originally but I'm thinking that clamping might not be a bad idea in the long run in case I want to switch back to something emissions-friendly, swap in some cats, or if I have any problems.