Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dynomouth!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 09:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynomouth!

I just got my 18" Dynomax bullet muffler installed in place of the resonator on my SLP Loudmouth exhaust. I was kind of doubtful about it at first, since I read a lot of negative comments about it on here...

Anyway, I think it sounds great so far. It definitely reduced the rasp and the drone that I was hearing before. It didn't do much to reduce the loudness of the exhaust, but if I wanted a quiet exhaust I wouldn't have put the Loudmouth on in the first place. It still sounds like the Loudmouth at WOT, but it no longer makes my ears ring while waiting at a stop light or while cruising on the highway. Definitely recommended...

And before anyone attacks me for my opinion , I'm sure the Borlamouth sounds just as good, even better maybe, but its all about personal preference, and this is the sound I was looking for. And the bullet was $100 less than the Borla XR-1.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You still have cats on your car, so that helps a lot. The dynomax bullet has fiberglass packing, as some of it blows out - you will get some rasp and it will be louder. I had a similar set up on my car when I first bought it, but I had no cats and stock manifolds. It sounded good to me at first, then some of the packing blew out and I hated it. That cat back ended up on a friend's car - stock 02' Z28. His car doesn't even have a lid, and still has the cats - it's MUCH more tame and actually sounds good on his car.
Old 10-24-2004, 12:08 PM
11 Second Club

I heard a dynomouth on my friends car and with is cam it was too raspy for my taste. Is there anything to make it quiter or should I get a new exhuast all together?
Old 10-24-2004, 12:11 PM
10 Second Club

You could try a Borla bullet, or a Moroso spiral flow, or something of that nature. I like my SLP dual/dual - QTEC combo, very mellow when closed - even w/ the LT's and ORY.
Old 10-24-2004, 01:35 PM
Teching In

How long did it take for the fiberglass packing to start blowing out? I pretty much only drive mine on weekends, so I'm hoping it will last a while?
Old 10-24-2004, 06:17 PM
10 Second Club

I was driving my car approx. 800-1000 miles per week back then, I'd say 2-3 weeks of driving and it was already much louder and raspy. The moisture here in FL might have had something to do with it too.
Old 10-24-2004, 07:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 86 IROC
I was driving my car approx. 800-1000 miles per week back then, I'd say 2-3 weeks of driving and it was already much louder and raspy. The moisture here in FL might have had something to do with it too.

Dunno bout that, i've got 26k miles on my dynomouth, and sounds the same as the day they put it on. I'm in harsh NJ...
Old 10-24-2004, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

When I purchased the LOUDMOUTH I thought it would have a better exhaust note. After a few months I replaced it with a SWEETTHUNDER muffler. The car is still loud but it now has a more muscular exhaust note.
Old 10-25-2004, 04:00 PM
12 Second Club

the cats are helping you out..I have a bullet in mine with no cats and it sounds very raspy like a 50 cal. machine-gun
Old 10-25-2004, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

I went a different route with my loudmouth and installed a single chamber flowmaster. nice defined rumble at idle and during cruising and just a clean loud sound at wot. and that is through gutted cats.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:32 PM
12 Second Club

Welded mine up on Friday!

I put a 2.5" bullet in the driver's side leg of the tailpipes - right where the stock muffler used to be. I am proud to say that I can now hold conversations and hear my radio on the highway!!

Still has the LM cam-hitting noise from the pass. side pipe, but the driv. pipe just rumbles... you can only tell they're two distinct noises if you're standing less than a foot behind the car. Any further back and it's a really cool effect . At first I wasn't happy at all with it - it seemed to make no difference - but after the bullet heat-cycled a couple of times and broke in, it really made a difference. I actually like cruising around in 6th now, hahaha
Old 11-22-2004, 03:01 PM
10 Second Club

i just experienced this. I had Mac mids and ORY running to a Dynomouth bullet and the rasp was unbearable and insanely loud. I bit the bullet (lol) and bought a Borla XR-1 40085 (5" casing) and installed it in place of my dynomax bullet. My car now still has the same sound,and is a tad bit quieter (but not really), has less interior resonance, and has lost 85% of the rasp it had. I could have even picked up some low end torque with it too. The dynomouth was fine with stock manifolds, but now with headers it was too loud. Add another satisfied Borla customer to the slate!
Old 11-22-2004, 03:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm. I had almost 50K miles on my dynomouth setup before I went for TDs. The inside is not fiberglass like a regular glass pack muffler. Its metal, like steel wool. I would not hesitate to suggest the dynomouth to anyone. It sure sounded good to me.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WS6_Dude
How long did it take for the fiberglass packing to start blowing out? I pretty much only drive mine on weekends, so I'm hoping it will last a while?
I've been driving mine for about a year, daily... it still sounds loud and deep, with no rasp at all. Oh, and that's with long tubes and ory. It sure lets the cam be heard, too.