Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QTP rasp

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 10:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default QTP rasp

hey, getting QTP lt'z ina few weeks and i still havent decided on a cattd y-pipe or ory-pipe.

I have a loudmouth and plan on keeping it............ive researched and i've read two different sides to it........

will the sound be more raspy with the cats or with the straight pipe? i really wouldnt like a reasp sound and im set on the loudmouth (i have the quad kit...it looks and sounds great!!) wat could i do to remedy this.

thanks
Old 11-15-2004, 11:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by obZidian
hey, getting QTP lt'z ina few weeks and i still havent decided on a cattd y-pipe or ory-pipe.

I have a loudmouth and plan on keeping it............ive researched and i've read two different sides to it........

will the sound be more raspy with the cats or with the straight pipe? i really wouldnt like a reasp sound and im set on the loudmouth (i have the quad kit...it looks and sounds great!!) wat could i do to remedy this.

thanks
If you had researched, you'd know that the Loudmouth is extremely raspy with an ORY. If you want to keep the Loudmouth and be rasp free. Get a catted y-pipe.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:26 PM
TECH Addict

yes, that is wat ive heard...................however, ive also been told that it is less rasy without the catts............just wanted to clear it all up
Old 11-15-2004, 05:23 PM
Teching In

well it depends really...imo i dont think loudmouth sounds good with any sort of lt header, with or without cats.

Why cant you just get a regular catback and have those nice CME tips setup to it
Old 11-15-2004, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Once you have the LTs on you can replace the LM resonator with a Borla XR-1 muffler (part 40085) the attached link is from a fellow member's setup. I hope that it's OK with him that I posted this up for you . http://www.javagator.com/z28/images/borlaslp/
Old 11-15-2004, 08:49 PM
On The Tree

I have a catted y pipe and love it. If you get the catted y and don't like the sound of the loudmouth, just swap in a different type of muffler.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the cats if you have any doubt. I have a less obnoxious catback, random tech, and it was raspy as hell when i got longtubes. I welded a bullet muffler in the I-pipe, about half as raspy but still annoying as hell. I finally got cats welded in and the rasp is gone, but i would have saved some money and hassle if i'd just got the catted y the first time.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:07 PM
TECH Addict

i just ordered the QTP headers with straight pipes so i hope it wont be such as bad as people say...........its all subjective to any persons taste............yeah, if anything, i was thinking of swapping out the resonator for a borla or something like that.......i just dont wont to lost the low end tone and loudness i have with the swap......

Anyways, is the rasp sound more prodominant at WOT or is it throughtout the powerband?
Old 11-15-2004, 09:12 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

A catted Y-pipe will always have less rasp than an off road Y-pipe. It's that simple- doesn't matter what catback you put on it.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am also planning on getting qtps, I currently have the magnaflow catback, will it be bearable with an ory?
Old 11-15-2004, 10:24 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

OK. The flaw here is that the brand QTP is being thrown around here in place of the words "Long Tubes". Rasp is rasp. It comes regardless of brand with long tube headers. Most people with long tube headers and off road y-pipes tend to look for a catback that is less raspy, like Hooker, Magnaflow, SLP D/D or 2OTL, etc. Many people put high flow cats back in their Y-pipe or a Bullet muffler in the I-pipe to try to cancel out the rasp.
Bearable is relative. I drove around with an X-pipe, dumped at the axle (with varying mufflers) for about a year and found it "bearable," even when the center console shook at idle from the resonance. I've since gone back to a Y-pipe and catback (QTP Y-pipe and SLP 2OTL) and am very happy with it. It is not only "bearable," but quite a joy to listen to at revs, without worrying about calling out the popo from a 1/4 mile away.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:49 AM
TECH Addict

yeah, i think after i install the headers with the motor i'll findout wat i think......for now though, i really dont want to get rid of my loudmouth. there really isnt anny resonance inside.well only at idle.....my rear speakers rattle.........anyways, i think from wat i just heard from ddelallata post i like tone.....ill let you guys know and have a sound clip for comparisons
Old 11-16-2004, 07:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

obZidian

Did u get any deal on the price? I will be getting some soon and was waiting to see if a sale will start. Thanks
Old 11-16-2004, 09:11 PM
TECH Addict

actually, no....i got hem with th motor from APE and them were the same price as from their site. However, when i compared the prices of the QTP'z and the Hooker'z,; the QTP'z were only 90 buck mores than the hookers...(Race style QTP'z) i dont think that it is that much more......for the upgrade to stainless and a sweet fitting design....it is worth it.my 2 centavos!!!! the only thing is that the y-pipe is costly when compared but it is also, i think, out of stainless.......you cant go wrong........
Old 11-16-2004, 09:14 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

The Y-pipe is not stainless, it's aluminized due to the Flowmaster 4" merge collector not being stainless.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:53 PM
TECH Addict

thanks...........still, i think the price difference isnt that bad when comparing the material and desin of the QTP'z
Old 11-16-2004, 11:09 PM
Launching!

like said earlier, get a Borla XR1 and put it in place of the LM resonator. Thats the setup that I have and it took most of the rasp away.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:24 AM
TECH Addict

when you say "most", when is that rasp more podominant? And is it bad enough that you can hear it from the inside of the car?