Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me out...GMMG or LT and catted Y???

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 10:30 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me out...GMMG or LT and catted Y???

what should I do? I could get in on the pacesetter catted Y sale that is going on, or I could get in on the GMMG GP that is ending soon.

I don't want anything too loud, but nice sounding. I also don't think the GMMG is going to give me any HP gains becuase the exhaust I have now is quite free flowing.

Which would be better for the fun factor, great sound or a HP gain?
Old 11-24-2004, 11:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

tough call. which GP do you think will likely be reproduced again at the same price ni the near future? and will u be able to take advantage of it when it occurs? also....gmmg w/LT's can get loud, just a word of caution.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:06 AM
10 Second Club

GMMG all the way.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You probably won't FULLY reap the benefits of LTs unless you plan on a cam and/or heads...you will pick up HP, but they are more beneficial with heads and/or cam.

As far as the "butt-o-meter" or "fun meter": in my application, adding LTs didn't give me as tangible a SOTP difference as the dramatic change in sound that the GMMG gave me. Does that make sense? I guess I just used a bunch of extra words to say that the GMMG ranked higher on my fun-meter than LTs.

cyphur makes a good point...which GP is rarer?...I'd say GMMG.

Another thing to consider: Assuming that both the GMMG and your current exhaust flow equally, are you happy with the sound of your current system? I have the GMMG and I love it...I would rank it just below H/C on my favorite mods list...
Old 11-24-2004, 12:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LawmanSS
Assuming that both the GMMG and your current exhaust flow equally, are you happy with the sound of your current system?
To answer if I like the way mine sounds now, I would have to say yes. Do I absolutly LOVE it...maybe. I wish it was just a tad louder, and from the many sound clips I've heard of GMMG, I'm really thinking the fun meter would go way up.

I also figure with the LT/catted-Y, I wouldn't have anything to sell to help offset the cost. But I figure someone that wants a great sounding and good flowing catback could buy mine for a good deal, and that would help offset the $625 for the GMMG.

After hours and hours of research and learning, I think from now on I want to mod my car based on fun factor. For example, after I added the SLP bolt-on SubFrames, the fun meter went WAY up. I'm thinking the GMMG would do the same, at least a little more so than LT would.

Anyone else have any thoughts?
Old 11-24-2004, 01:33 PM
TECH Resident

Thumbs up

The stock exhaust is so tame and quiet until you get on it completely... it's rediculous for a V8!

I was on the same boat as you when researching exhaust and headers. My primary intention was an exhaust that would sound deep, loud and make heads turn on an otherwise stock car.

I heard a few sound clips at LS1Sounds.com and got further confused because the GMMG, Borla, Corsa, Dynomouth, etc sounded very close to each other. I Just took my chances and people's word on the GMMG.

Let me tell you honestly, the difference going from a stock exhaust to GMMG is day and night!! From the point I started my car with the GMMG on to today, it sounds EXACTLY the same!!

I assure you'll be turning your radio/stereo off to enjoy the rumble from this exhaust. The only downside is the extra $$ that'll go in gas because the GMMG provokes the "lead foot" syndrome ... more frequently!

I went with the standard tips... Maybe I should've bought the premium ones because the standard ones don't really look good on a Trans AM but would be okay on a 'camaro!!

The best part is the cold start!!.. It's almost like an explosion

The sound of the GMMG exhaust on a completely stock car is to the ears!..

Between headers and exhaust [GMMG] for just sound, I'd def. go with GMMG anyday!! Headers are more performance than sound...

Go for it bro! You'll thank yourself for this.. I guarantee it [ I sound like the " Mens Wearhouse " ad now lol ]

BTW, I am doing Kooks LTs with Catted Y next week
Old 11-24-2004, 09:57 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I got a nice increase in torque from the GMMG compared to the piece of crap aftermarket muffler the previous owner had put on. And the great thing about the sound is that it is quiet at steady throttle, progressively louder as the throttle opens, awesome at WOT, and throaty with zero rasp (w/ stock manifolds). I guess that's a lot of great things!
Old 11-24-2004, 10:12 PM
TECH Addict

go for the GMMG.....leike stated before, the heades wont wake up until you hve more flow through ur motor..........via h/c, larger displacement...etc.

I have a center mounted SLP loudmouth for about a year and i still smile EVERYTIME i turn it on.......yeah.i have a serious case of "lead-foot", cant help it!!

THe exhaust is more fun and even though the money is up there.it is well worth the moment you hear your new exhaust..money well spent....

however, before purchasing your exhaust......make sure if your going to go headers, y-pipe in the future.........that you r aware of the rasp affect when adding the LT'z...if heard that the GMMG, and my loudmouth are loud and raspy...........im not sure how my setup will be with the new motor but in already considering a borlamouth...

when ur confdent though, just do it. Order it a nd forget about the consequences.u can make that cash back.while ur cruising in you "new" ride......
Old 11-25-2004, 02:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would get the Long Tubes and stick with your SLP D/D Magnaflow catback. JMO

Last edited by Keenov; 11-25-2004 at 02:24 AM.
Old 11-25-2004, 02:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

long tubes all the way

Quick Reply: Help me out...GMMG or LT and catted Y???