Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on Spark Plug Heat Range

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 08:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on Spark Plug Heat Range

I'm going to try a different brand plug that is 1/2 step colder than a TR55. They also have one that is 1 1/2 colder. Furthermore, in the spring, I'll be adding mild 7 Lb boost and probably a blower cam. Even if I go to the colder of the two before I get the blower, what disadvantage might I be at regarding performance? I don't really want to buy these things twice. I've been told that there should be no power difference, and worst-case I've got to clean them once in a while. I'd like some advice from folks with first hand experience in this area as opposed to theoretical meanderings.
Old 11-25-2004, 06:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Performance wise you don't lose anything by going with a colder plug, you simply end up needing to replace them more often since they will foul up easier. I ran TR6s in my old 98 Formula and they fouled out badly in just 13k (so badly that it wouldn't rev beyond 5000 without big time misfires) I also recently had a set of TR6s in my Corvette but after just 2000 miles I noticed the idle was a bit rough, so I put in TR55s and the idle smoothed right out.
Old 11-27-2004, 08:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I guess I could:
1. run the colder plugs and clean them frequently.
2. run the hotter plugs and see if it knocks after I do the blower.
I could almost live with option 1 with the GTO, but it's a thankless task in an Fbod.
This raises an interesting question for people with "street" blowers or turbos. I'm wondering how clean their colder plugs stay if they're not jumping on it all the time.