Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 05:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Water Pump

I've noticed some small drops of Dexcool coming from under the car lately. I got underneath and looked and it looks like there is antifreeze dripping from the front of the K-member (and the back also) as well as antifreeze on the oil pan bolts. The coating on the crank pulley is peeling off and rusting I'm guessing because the water pump has failed? I really couldn't see enough of the water pump to see anything dripping from it but due to location that looks like the most likely problem.

How common of a problem is water pump failure? Also how hard is it to replace the water pump. It looks pretty simple to get to but are there any special tools I would need to do this?

Thanks
Old 01-03-2005, 06:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine just went out at 52k. No special tools needed. My symtoms were same as yours.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:38 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the reply.

Anyone know how the black pulley comes off the water pump? I can't really see any antifreeze coming from the waterpump but can't see the shaft with the big black pulley on it.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The pully is pressed on to the pump shaft. Your new water pump will come with a pully on it.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WayneSS01
The pully is pressed on to the pump shaft. Your new water pump will come with a pully on it.

Alright, Thanks for your help