Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kook header gains over all others?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 08:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kook header gains over all others?

Guys, im sure its been posted a hundred times. But does anyone have realworld gains on a H/C car with kooks over all the others like SLP and FLP?

We installed a set tonight and the headers went on like a breeze!

plus i like the collector and not the slip thingy like SLP uses with theirs(had to weld mine so everytime the heads come off i have to cut the offroad pipe)

i think someone posted about 15hp over the SLP's on a H/C car with the 1 3/4th inch ones?
Old 01-05-2005, 01:02 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Look into the QTPs as well, they rock...and yes, there is a difference between a premium long tube such as these and something like SLPs.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98TAauto

i think someone posted about 15hp over the SLP's on a H/C car with the 1 3/4th inch ones?

I find that kind of hard to beleave maybe up top there would be a little gain but I don't know about through the curve. I sure would like to see those dyno sheets if there is any. I have been considering swaping out my SLP LT's just for clearance issue's for the Kook's or QTP's or Stainless Work's.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:38 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

There is a huge gain. I did a back-to-back dyno test on Kooks versus SLPs and the kooks went 15rwhp / 13rwtq over the SLP's. This was on a head and cam car and the gains were across the RPM range.

I am a kooks dealer and I'm running a 10% off sale at the moment.

Mikey
Old 01-05-2005, 07:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mikey
There is a huge gain. I did a back-to-back dyno test on Kooks versus SLPs and the kooks went 15rwhp / 13rwtq over the SLP's. This was on a head and cam car and the gains were across the RPM range.

I am a kooks dealer and I'm running a 10% off sale at the moment.

Mikey

Dyno sheet's on the back to back? I'm interested, is that just up top or all the way through the curve.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:59 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

It was all over the curve. Some areas picked up more. I will print the sheet and scan it at the end of this week.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mikey
It was all over the curve. Some areas picked up more. I will print the sheet and scan it at the end of this week.

Thank's!
Old 01-05-2005, 08:33 AM
11 Second Club

i also gained about 15rwhp from going to Jethots to QTPs
Old 01-05-2005, 08:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Mkey, post the before and afters please. Im very interested.. may nit have the cash right now, but im hoping to have some this spring/summer.

im happy with my slp's, but if i can get roughly 15+hp from switching I may consider it.

these dynoes were done with the same exact mods as before correct? Any tuning to get better numbers, or just slap on and wham, 15more hp?

thanks for the info
Old 01-05-2005, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Durien, aren't your headers the HV ones? That would add some on top of the regular headers.

What I want to know is whether Kooks or QTP (non-HVC) make more power. I know that they are the same design, but they are obviously a little different, or the y-pipes would bolt to each other (which they won't). I just want to know as far as the headers themselves (I'm going duals...I think). Or is the difference negligable? What exactly is the difference in design?
Old 01-05-2005, 12:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Kooks/QTP should make equal power, if you get the Non-HVMC version of QTP. Buy whatever is cheaper, as long as its SS.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by matts22
Durien, aren't your headers the HV ones? That would add some on top of the regular headers.

What I want to know is whether Kooks or QTP (non-HVC) make more power. I know that they are the same design, but they are obviously a little different, or the y-pipes would bolt to each other (which they won't). I just want to know as far as the headers themselves (I'm going duals...I think). Or is the difference negligable? What exactly is the difference in design?

kinda what I wanted to know also... i have SLP's, but I was wondering how the kooks or QTP's make so much more HP? Whats the major differences to make more HP, and make the switch worth it.

15hp would be a pretty nice gain on a H/C car

if i do get any, they will be the non egr and AIR fitting ones anyway
Old 01-05-2005, 07:40 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98TAauto
kinda what I wanted to know also... i have SLP's, but I was wondering how the kooks or QTP's make so much more HP? Whats the major differences to make more HP, and make the switch worth it.
Just look at the SLPs, they claim to be of a tuned equal length but they spaghetti all over the place with these funky bends, have these tiny short collectors, ZERO ground clearance and are a total B*TCH to install.
The QTPs are based on a proven and potent design that has worked extremely well on LSX motors for years now, I believe the claims of up to 15hp more and highly recommend the QTPs, with or even without the HV merge collectors and of course the smooth flowing QTP Y pipe.