Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O2 sensors/wires (possibly burnt wires?).......can i do this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 01:28 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 sensors/wires (possibly burnt wires?).......can i do this?

I took my car in to read the codes it was throwin off today...........its bank 2 sensor 2 or somethin.......i dont know. I took it to Autozone first, he read it for me and told me what it was, he said 02 after cats, not sure which side. Then i was headed home but decided to go to Speed Inc. to see if they could help me since i was passin right by them. On the way over the light turns off but they still read the codes.......its my whole passenger side sensors. I have the stock 02 sensors upfront and the 02 simms in back. They said that my primary's are probably running really close to my O2 wires and probably burnt them a lil bit.

This seems to happen in cold/wet weather. About a month ago i posted bout this but it went off on its own so i never checked it. It went on again saturday so once i got home that night i didn't drive it till today when i took it over to read the codes.

My question is this...........since the SES light went off on its own, does that mean that the wires are still ok for now........or do they need to be changed. I was thinkin i could try to find a way to get it away from the header's and i should be fine. If i can't do that and i do need to change the wires.......how hard is it?

Sorry bout the long post and thanks to Speed Inc for helpin me out with this.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:07 AM
STF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Several possibilities. Keep in mind that the SES will go out when you've had x number of fault free driving cycles. The problem could be burnt/chaffed wiring that still makes enough contact most times, or maybe running too rich and causing such high readings that the PCM is interpreting the readings as a failure. Do a good visual on the harnesses, if need be use some aluminum heat wrap tape to protect the wiring, and if you have to, change out the sensors.