Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need new muffelers...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need new muffelers...

i have TSP true duals, and just installed the torquer cam. needless to say this bitch was loud before, but now its crazy. i want something that will still sound mean, flow well, but wont be so loud. i started my car to warm it up today, and the walls in my house were literally shaking.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:38 PM
TECH Resident

Check out some sweet thunders.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LSONE
i have TSP true duals, and just installed the torquer cam. needless to say this bitch was loud before, but now its crazy. i want something that will still sound mean, flow well, but wont be so loud. i started my car to warm it up today, and the walls in my house were literally shaking.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I've gotten used to it now, though, and I think if I switched to anything else it would seem too quiet. The idle is just sick! But I have to say, when I heard that thing at WOT on the dyno, I was like OMFG! I never realized how ungodly loud it was at WOT outside the car. So, how's your driveability been with it untuned? Oh, and have you had any problem with the band clamps at the headers loosening up? Mine get loose enough to leak about 2 days after I tighten them. Tried thread locker, but to no avail. Thinkin' about tack welding them next...

I too would recommend the Sweet Thunders. They should quiet it down quite a bit, and still have a deep, powerful sound.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

single chamber flows.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd say Flowmaster 1 chambers, Sweet-thunders, or the borla XR1
Old 01-10-2005, 07:16 PM
TECH Junkie

my vote if for the borla xr1. The borlas will cut the volume 1/2 - 3/4's what it is now and they sound bad ***.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Silverhawk_02TA
Yeah, I know what you mean. I've gotten used to it now, though, and I think if I switched to anything else it would seem too quiet. The idle is just sick! But I have to say, when I heard that thing at WOT on the dyno, I was like OMFG! I never realized how ungodly loud it was at WOT outside the car. So, how's your driveability been with it untuned? Oh, and have you had any problem with the band clamps at the headers loosening up? Mine get loose enough to leak about 2 days after I tighten them. Tried thread locker, but to no avail. Thinkin' about tack welding them next...

I too would recommend the Sweet Thunders. They should quiet it down quite a bit, and still have a deep, powerful sound.
actaully its not too bad. me and you have the same setup, so you know what i'm talking about. drivability isnt that bad, i get some bucking and surging at low rpms, and it searches for idle when i push the clutch in, but other than that its not too bad. i do need a tune though...

btw, have you been to the track yet? i would like to get an estimation of what i should be running
Old 01-11-2005, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't think Sweet Thunders will necessarily quiet it down (I know b/c I have sweet thunders on my TSP duals)...they will just sound completely different than the bullets.

For quiet, go with Borla XR-1's.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 5POINT7
I don't think Sweet Thunders will necessarily quiet it down (I know b/c I have sweet thunders on my TSP duals)...they will just sound completely different than the bullets.

For quiet, go with Borla XR-1's.
I also have the Torquer but w/a 3500 stall,headers,y pipe,flowmaster 80.It is still pretty loud,I have a q-tec cutout also,when that is open,OMG it is extremely loud.i have the TSp mail order tune,it may the car driveable but it still stalled every now and then,it also had bucking between 40-45mph in OD after the tune.today drilled the Tb 7/32 and stalling has pretty much stopped,but bucking is still present.Also when coming to a stop,the idle surges twice before becoming steady at 950.Silverhawk does your car buck at all?
Old 01-25-2005, 01:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

have you thought about a set of highflow cats, like some carsound cats? That would cut down on the sound volume quite a bit. Although im a big fan of the flowmaster 1 chambers and sweet chamber mufflers, dumped they are far far far from quiet...and considering i've heard both of them as well as dumped bullets with a cammed ls1 vehicle in person, there isn't that much of a difference. Bullets are just loud, the otehrs give the exhaust a very aggressive tone to it that can also be heard for miles.
the tone they give off i think makes me seem almost as loud as the bullets.

moroso spiral flows are quite a bit quieter, and if this is more of a daily driver you have their are some magnaflow mufflers that are alot quieter.

u could always run pipes out to the rear under the axle as well, that would cut down on the sound as well.
Travis
Old 01-25-2005, 02:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

When I ran mine out the rear under the axle it added some rasp now I need to get rid of the little rasp it has. NOw that I got the Cam in it is still a little Raspy. When it was dumped I was happy as I could be with the sound. What do you guys recommed to take the rasp away?
Old 01-25-2005, 09:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran my true duals under the axle and added another two bullets. Drone = gone. Rasp = gone. Obnoxious volume = partially gone. Muscular tone = Still here. Im happy i did it this way. It uses two 12" bullets per side, for a total of 24" of muffler. Thats only 6 more inches than the normal setups with a single 18 per side, so its a little quieter. The real advantage is that the location of the muffler is staggered so the drone and resonance and rasp that was left by the first mufflers is now eliminated by the rear ones. The sound is cleaned up tremendously.