Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Pacesetter broke at the passenger air tube weld!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My Pacesetter broke at the passenger air tube weld!

Has anyone heard of this happening before? I was on 101 last night racing an 03' and all of a sudden I got some bad backfireing on decell and heard a mild exhaust leak from the front passenger side of the car. I figured it was leaking where the clamp is by the header on the passenger side, because I hadn't had time to go get the ORY welded yet. Today, before going to the exhaust shop, I decided to change my plugs. It wasn't til I got to the #4 cyl plug that I relaized that the block off plate was sitting a little lower then it should be. A little wiggleing and I had found my problem. I'm going to the exhaust shop in a bit, I hope they can just weld the hole up for me... what a pain in the ***.

The pictures dont show the crack to well, I kinda put the tube back in place since it hadn't broken all the way off yet.
Attached Thumbnails My Pacesetter broke at the passenger air tube weld!-img_0444.jpg   My Pacesetter broke at the passenger air tube weld!-img_0442.jpg  
Old 01-22-2005, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dont mind the r134a splatter, it got a little messy taking the ac hoses off...heh
Old 01-22-2005, 07:08 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by jermzz
Has anyone heard of this happening before?
Yes, numerous times on Jet Hots, Hookers, Pacesetters, basically any non stainless steel long tube. Hence why I would never buy headers with AIR or EGR fittings on them unless they're a quality stainless steel header like QTPs.
Sorry to hear about it.
Old 01-22-2005, 07:11 PM
TECH Resident

They'll be able to weld that badboy up...

B
Old 01-22-2005, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried to get my Hooker LT's repaired and no one would do it unless the header was removed from the car. The air tube for the driver's side broke rendering the car useless. You can try some exhaust shops and maybe you will find one. I ended up removing, repairing and selling them for the QTP's.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blacker
I tried to get my Hooker LT's repaired and no one would do it unless the header was removed from the car. The air tube for the driver's side broke rendering the car useless. You can try some exhaust shops and maybe you will find one. I ended up removing, repairing and selling them for the QTP's.
Greaaaaaat. Atleast its the easier side, but still. I *really* don't want to do that.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The main concern was there was not enough room to weld it. Mine broke completely off and to weld 360* around would have been difficult in the little of space.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

What if i just pull the damn thing off since it's blocked off anyway and have them just weld up the hole?
Old 01-22-2005, 09:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jermzz
What if i just pull the damn thing off since it's blocked off anyway and have them just weld up the hole?
Yeah it would probably be easier for them to just weld on a little block off plate, that way they wouldn't have to be working around the tube since it is useless anyways.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll just tell them to gob up the hole...its not large...

Ill take off the plug there, and the AC lines...that will yeild plenty of room to do the job.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mine broke also, same tube. I cut the air tube off, brazed the hole shut, placed the piece back into the hole on the header(lined it up where it broke out). Then I wrapped a hose clamp around it for a tempry fix until I purchase a set of GOOD SS headers. I am not driving the car in the winter but it sucks that it happened right before I put it up. Mine are rusting very badly and only 14 months old. Coated in case anyone wonders about that.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Unless you have a state that has a visual inspection I alway perfer LT's ! Air & EGR with tuners/edit who needs them. And it cleans up the engine bay tremendously.