Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker Catback installation?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 10:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hooker Catback installation?

I have been reading up on exhaust systems (and pricing them) and really like what i've read about the Hooker system. After pricing them I think that's the way for me, but I hav'nt found anything on how they install. Are they a bolt on system or do they have to be welded? Even their website does'nt tell. I've tried being cheap and playing around with my exhaust for the past few months and basically butchered it, but it's not a daily driver so it has'nt been too big of a deal. Right now I have a turbo tube type muffler in the intermediate pipe and Y'd it back out over the axle and put new tips on it. At first I did'nt have any muffler, just straight pipe and it poped like crazy and I could'nt stand it. ANy info is GREATLY appreciated
Old 02-02-2005, 11:29 AM
Launching!

they are real nice catbacks, i know two cars with them, i recently bought one(still new in box) i will be selling it since im getting true duals.

they are bolt on, but in some cases people have welded parts up just for better fitment.

PM me if interested.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:32 PM
12 Second Club

I put one on my buddies TA and the fitment was very nice. We clamped all the piping, didn't weld any of it. Looks and sounds awesome!
Old 02-02-2005, 05:43 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddie and I just installed LT's and a hooker catback. With the LT's it sounds GREAT, it has no rasp and I actually can hear my radio now when I'm driving. I am comparing it to my car when I had stock manifolds and a SLP LM. To make a long story short, installation is very straight forward it uses the stock hangers and took no time at all.

One problem with the tips, the clamp is built into the tip and would not tighten at all, so my friend welded the things in place
Old 02-02-2005, 07:21 PM
Launching!

hardest part will be getting the old exhaust off, after that is verrry eazzzy.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:59 PM
11 Second Club

hooker is the way to go i put the whole cat-back system on in less than in hour! you wll love the sound
Old 02-02-2005, 11:51 PM
TECH Resident

I got my Hooker cat back at Thunder Racing. Great price and nice performance.
Definately an easy install. Even at home, with only jackstands, under an hour to install.
As stated above though, watch out for the tips comming off. Best to bolt them on and then go immediately to a welding place and have them tack them on. The clamps are top notch and make good seals.
As for sound, cruising is a nice rumble, no rasp like a LM (had that...drove me nuts) and @ WOT the sound is outstanding. I have a new cam and that makes it even sweeter
Good luck,

Kev