Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F.A.S.T stuff???

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 11:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default F.A.S.T stuff???

Anbody know if they have made an effort to fix their manufacturing flaws yet? Things like their TB not fitting right with their intake! I like the products but will not order anything else if they make no effort to fix these fitment issues. Way to expensive to put up with stupid fitment issues.
Old 02-05-2005, 04:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe they have resolved the issues with the throttle cam slipping and with the bearings "walking" out of the housing, but as far I know, the TBs still don't line up with the mounting flange
Old 02-05-2005, 08:15 PM
Teching In

Well what good is that?
Old 02-05-2005, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are these issues just with the 90mm or also the 78mm TB's?
Old 02-06-2005, 11:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LawmanSS
I believe they have resolved the issues with the throttle cam slipping and with the bearings "walking" out of the housing, but as far I know, the TBs still don't line up with the mounting flange
Hi LawmanSS
I just received my 90mm FAST TB and Manifold - do you or anybody know what to look for the bearing not walking out fix? Smaller hole size or staked bearings, etc? The set screw is easy to see once you remove it. Also is the problem with the mounting flange a stock manifold issue or with the FAST manifold? I don't have any problem fixing it before I put it on the car.
Thanks
Bill
Old 02-06-2005, 02:34 PM
10 Second Club

For all that money you think they would fix that! Come on guys pull it together. Doesn't matter how well it works if it won't fit right.
Old 02-06-2005, 03:07 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HAMRHEAD
For all that money you think they would fix that! Come on guys pull it together. Doesn't matter how well it works if it won't fit right.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Bill's 02 Z-28 SS
Hi LawmanSS
I just received my 90mm FAST TB and Manifold - do you or anybody know what to look for the bearing not walking out fix? Smaller hole size or staked bearings, etc? The set screw is easy to see once you remove it. Also is the problem with the mounting flange a stock manifold issue or with the FAST manifold? I don't have any problem fixing it before I put it on the car.
Thanks
Bill
The fix for the bearing walking-out is to "peen" the aluminum around the bearing...it's hard to explain, but if you look at your stock TB, you can see how the housing is dented around the rim of the bearing. As far as whether or not FAST has addressed this or how to tell, I can't really tell you how to identify if the bearing issue has been resolved outside of looking for the "peen" marks.

The problem with the TB not lining up with the mounting flange seems to be limited to the 90mm FAST TB and FAST 90mm intake. One thing to remember, this particular problem is only cosmetic in nature. The TB seals to the intake via an O-ring seal and is not affected by the misalignment. If you aren't concerned with how it looks, you'll be fine. If you are picky like me, then this issue will be quite a sore spot for you. IMHO, there is no excuse for a company to market a throttlebody the does not line up with THEIR OWN intake manifold...especially considering that their competitor's TB lines up perfectly!
Old 02-07-2005, 02:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah. I wish they would pull their heads out their ***. $500+ TB that are crap. WTF
Old 02-07-2005, 10:37 AM
Sweet Cheeks

Just stick with the LS6 and a Shaner TB until these issues work out.

Unless you want to go with a 90mm setup, then just run the new TPIS throttle body and you're good to go.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:49 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dear John
Just stick with the LS6 and a Shaner TB until these issues work out.

Unless you want to go with a 90mm setup, then just run the new TPIS throttle body and you're good to go.
To late! I fell victim to the hype last spring when they came out. Like I said though, it is nice stuff but it should fit. It wouldn't be hard for them to fix either but they seem like they just don't care.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The fix for the bearing walking-out is to "peen" the aluminum around the bearing...it's hard to explain, but if you look at your stock TB, you can see how the housing is dented around the rim of the bearing. As far as whether or not FAST has addressed this or how to tell, I can't really tell you how to identify if the bearing issue has been resolved outside of looking for the "peen" marks.

The problem with the TB not lining up with the mounting flange seems to be limited to the 90mm FAST TB and FAST 90mm intake. One thing to remember, this particular problem is only cosmetic in nature. The TB seals to the intake via an O-ring seal and is not affected by the misalignment. If you aren't concerned with how it looks, you'll be fine. If you are picky like me, then this issue will be quite a sore spot for you. IMHO, there is no excuse for a company to market a throttlebody the does not line up with THEIR OWN intake manifold...especially considering that their competitor's TB lines up perfectly!
Hi LawmanSS
Sorry I did not get back to you sooner but I was on travel. I understand about peening a hole, I worked in a machine shop/Sheet metal shop while going to school. We would a peen a hole to close it up ha ha somebody used the wrong drill size. I will check that tonight and if needed, I have a selection of ball bearings to do the job myself.
The misalignment will bother me and I will have to see how far off it is. I will try to fix it, if possible.
Thanks

Bill
Old 02-09-2005, 09:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Bill's 02 Z-28 SS
Hi LawmanSS
Sorry I did not get back to you sooner but I was on travel. I understand about peening a hole, I worked in a machine shop/Sheet metal shop while going to school. We would a peen a hole to close it up ha ha somebody used the wrong drill size. I will check that tonight and if needed, I have a selection of ball bearings to do the job myself.
The misalignment will bother me and I will have to see how far off it is. I will try to fix it, if possible.
Thanks

Bill
I haven't addressed the misalignment yet...I was thinking about filling the exposed "gap" with some epoxy and sanding it smooth before I paint the LSX...I'm hoping this will make it look a little better...
Old 02-10-2005, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I haven't addressed the misalignment yet...I was thinking about filling the exposed "gap" with some epoxy and sanding it smooth before I paint the LSX...I'm hoping this will make it look a little better...
Hi LawmanSS,
I have a concern about the Manifold - I have ported and Shaved LS6 heads, they are cut .055. Reading the manifold installation you have to replace the valley bolts with their button head bolts. Reading that, the manifold must sit lower than the stock unit but with my heads being cut more, I am wondering if the manifold has enough clearance now. Know of any issues?
Thanks
Bill
Old 02-10-2005, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have a BRAND NEW FAST 90mm TB on my car that I'm borrowing from Jason, and it is a POS. Throttle sticks constantly, one time the car had to be shut down after it stuck at 5k rpm and he had to manually open the hood and pull the cable. I wouldn't recommend that junk to anyone.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

^thats just ridiculous! for that much money it should be the best quality TB out there.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:40 PM

They read this board and all these issues have been addressed but, on a person to person basis don't complain about it if you haven't contacted them directly. They can't help you with your particular problem if they haven't heard about it.
901-260-FAST
Old 02-10-2005, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hi Folks
I called them before lunch about the clearance issue with cut heads (.055")and they assured me that it will fit and I will not have a problem. I will keep everybody informed about it. By the way, I looked at my 90M TB and the shaft has the cut so the it will not turn or stay open during WOT. The unit looks like a nice piece of machining - the finally test will be in the car.
Thanks
Bill
Old 02-10-2005, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Unaffiliated Racing
They read this board and all these issues have been addressed but, on a person to person basis don't complain about it if you haven't contacted them directly. They can't help you with your particular problem if they haven't heard about it.
901-260-FAST
I would agree with you, but it's not like this is an individual problem. In fact, I dont see many people saying good things about their FAST TB's on this board. Now if you want to go grind things on it and modify it, I'm sure you could get it to work fine, but IMO, you shouldn't have to do that for the price. That's why I am waiting on my TPIS to come in.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:33 PM

Here is what you have to understand. You and I both see on this board that probably a hundred people have complained about TB issues. The problem is that only a handful of those people have called in to FAST about these issues. Through calls they have gotten it only seems like minor issues....WHY you ask? Because nobody calls to let them know this..they just get on here and bitch and moan about it. I agree..it has issues but, don't wine about it if you haven't called them yourself and tried to resolve it. If they don't hear about everyone's problems...they don't exist.