Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoke stack exhaust setup?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Smoke stack exhaust setup?

Not for my car, but for my friends light duty F250.

You guys seem to have lot's of general exhaust knowledge, and I thought I would post up.

We were thinking (as the obnoxious high-school seniors we are) about making a "Smoke stack" type vertical exhaust, like the ones you see on 18 wheelers. It would come out the side and up from behind the cab.

Could it be done?

Would it be legal?

Please leave suggestions/advice/flames.

Thanks.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive seen it on many trucks down here. dont have any links or legality remarks for ya.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:44 PM
TECH Regular

Look up 'Dodge little red wagon' or 'Dodge warlock' on google. I think the black ones were called warlocks. But the little red wagons came from factory with smoke stacks. They were made in the 70's so im not sure about legality today.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:48 PM
TECH Regular

Whoops, I meant little red express!

And I don't think the warlock came with the stacks....sorry kinda drunk right now!
Old 02-10-2005, 01:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Slammed-am
Not for my car, but for my friends light duty F250.

You guys seem to have lot's of general exhaust knowledge, and I thought I would post up.

We were thinking (as the obnoxious high-school seniors we are) about making a "Smoke stack" type vertical exhaust, like the ones you see on 18 wheelers. It would come out the side and up from behind the cab.

Could it be done?

Would it be legal?

Please leave suggestions/advice/flames.

Thanks.
Anything can be done.
I would do it. I think stacks look cool as hell .
Old 02-10-2005, 08:08 AM
On The Tree

Stacks are pretty popular on diesel pickups and they are legal. Most laws state that the exhaust has to exit "behind or above the passenger compartment", so they fit the bill. I have heard of guys getting illegal exhaust tickets, but they have all been thrown out in court. Most guys use between 4"-6" stacks from a trucker supply store, cut them down, and either use a custom built y-pipe or a box setup to split the exhaust from one inlet to the two stacks. There are many different options: 1 stack, 2 stacks, slant cut, flat tops, turn outs, flappers, etc. IMO the dual slant cuts at cab level look the sickest. Check out www.turbodieselregister.com and search for stacks.

John