Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More exhaust Q's

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 03:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More exhaust Q's

I am planning to get a full exhaust. Headers, y-pipe, catback, maybe a cutout. Question is should I get a ORY or a catted Y? I'm spending the same amount on either of so it is only My inspection sticker I should worry about. Will a catted-Y steal power and torque? Will it still sound nice, I don't mean loud? Basically I want the most power but not annoyingly loud. What do y'all recommend?

BTW I'm getting Hooker LTs, ceramic coated, hooker ORY, or Texas speed catted y, and MAgnaflow catback?
Old 02-17-2005, 03:17 PM
TECH Resident

You'll always be leaving some power on the table if you run cats, more so as you progressively got more mods. Once you get all the parts on there, it will be significantly louder than stock. The loudness is usually a good thing in the opinions of most people. The ORY will give you some rasp, but it won't be unbearable. I run cats and my car is very loud at WOT for reference.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by REDWS6CHICK
Basically I want the most power but not annoyingly loud. What do y'all recommend?

BTW I'm getting Hooker LTs, ceramic coated, hooker ORY, or Texas speed catted y, and MAgnaflow catback?
That is what I will recommend. You picked a nice setup there.

I never heard problems with the hooker y-pipe, but I do know that the TSP y-pipe is a great piece. I would recommend that as well.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LoPeY
You'll always be leaving some power on the table if you run cats, more so as you progressively got more mods. Once you get all the parts on there, it will be significantly louder than stock. The loudness is usually a good thing in the opinions of most people. The ORY will give you some rasp, but it won't be unbearable. I run cats and my car is very loud at WOT for reference.

Even with high flow-cats, (the TSP catted Y do have high flows, right?), I won't have as much power as I should?
Old 02-17-2005, 04:31 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What are you power goals for the car? If you plan on just bolt-ons through mild heads/cam, cats aren't going to rob you of much power at all. The sound IMO will always be better with a catted car. It will be more refined, a little deeper, but will still be just as loud at WOT. I promise. Cats also get rid of the gas smell that will come from going with an ORY.

I ditched my cats simply because I have no emissions to pass, and I have power goals for my car that are a little beyond heads/cam. I also went with true duals, so rasp is no issue for me.

Good luck with your decision. I lost many nights of sleep over my setup, but ended up happy.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the cutouts are before the cats then the power is
there, whenever you want it enough to flip the switch.
Not to mention a sound that makes babies cry and old
people incontinent.

Check out QTP's catted, cutout Y, maybe you can get
some break off the GP (it's pretty spendy, otherwise).