Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 05:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust?

ive been looking to buy a used LS1 exhaust for cheap, its only a temporary thing, i will be going with LTs and true duals in a couple of months. but till then i want the stock sound gone.
since i have not found anything for cheap, i was thinking of just replacing the muffler with a straight through pipe or bullet muffler. and having the other side welded to be sort of like the borla exhaust on the right side.
i know i can always go with a cutout but i was just wondering what the above setup will sound like.
by the way wouldnt these be similar to the tsp setup. what is that one like.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:29 PM
TECH Regular

do u have longtubes on it now? if not you could look into a used loudmouth system as a temporary change...i had it for a while and liked it until the longtubes went in...now im getting duals so you could consider that
Old 02-20-2005, 05:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

if it is temporary I would say definetly the cutout, unless you just have money to burn.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:59 PM
11 Second Club

Cutout would obviously be cheapest, but if you want an actual exhaust, find a used loudmouth
Old 02-20-2005, 07:13 PM
TECH Addict

yeah like they said do a cutout if u just wanna be loud sometime. but if not. then just get a bullet from jegs. $50 and ur good to go! good luck!
Old 02-20-2005, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Another vote for the cutout. Very cheap and sound way better than stock. I wouldn't put a catback on it if you are going TD soon.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:48 PM
TECH Veteran

I lost just the muffler for a while on my 02 Z-28 and my 98 T/A. Basically a loudmouth setup. It sounded pretty good. I got lots of compliments on the T/A because it was really loud, and nobody around here had anything that sounded like it back then. I did the same thing to my 02 Z-28 the first day I had it. You can do it for about the price of buying a cutout and having it installed. I didn't have nearly as much rasp that way as I do now with the cutout.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Patrolman808
I lost just the muffler for a while on my 02 Z-28 and my 98 T/A. Basically a loudmouth setup. It sounded pretty good. I got lots of compliments on the T/A because it was really loud, and nobody around here had anything that sounded like it back then. I did the same thing to my 02 Z-28 the first day I had it. You can do it for about the price of buying a cutout and having it installed. I didn't have nearly as much rasp that way as I do now with the cutout.
so basically what you had was stock a exhaust (cats, 2 1/2 pipes) without muffler? do you have any pix? was there smoke coming from the exhaust becuase of not having the muffler?
this is what ive decided to do for now. if i like the sound i might stick with it.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:13 AM
Staging Lane

Can u just gut the stock muffler? I dont know what that would sound like. But if someone has done this please post. I was thinking about the tsp rumbler cat back for my ride. I think it goes for $200.00 without tips. But if it is worth gutting the muffler i might go that way. I like cheap!
Old 02-21-2005, 04:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Patrolman808
Yeah my friend did that with his 99 Z back when it was new. Back then I thought that was loud but now I know what loud is . It actually sounded pretty good without the muffler. Not even close to true duals but it really turned some heads. This or a cutout is the way to go to save a little cash and get rid of stock sound.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Yea, it wasn't as loud as the 3" duals with 1-chamber Flow's I had on the 02 Z, but it had a good sound. My setup looked more like the GMMG than the loudmouth. No smoke coming out the exhaust. They put basically a "T" that they built in the center where the muffler was, and had equal length pipes going out to the typs. It sounded pretty equal on both sides of the car.