Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Y-pipe fabbing...few ???'s

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 02:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Y-pipe fabbing...few ???'s

Due to the poor design of the catted y-pipe i bought last season, ive decided to just have an exhaust shop custom make me a y-pipe for my SS...i have QTP LT's and LM catback exhaust right now, My question is, should i keep the y-pipe 3" or should i make it 2.5"? I dont understand the diff....and truthfully i was deffinatly NOT impressed w/ how quiet it sounded w/ the 3" ypipe i had on it last year....however, it is the qtp catted y-pipe so i have two cats...which are now hollowed out, and the flowmaster merge....which were all originally for the 3" diameter...can a shop make them work w/ 2.5" or not likely? Thanks for any info.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

no one knows?
Old 02-23-2005, 01:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are different ways to do this, the pipes coming off the headers will have to be 3", then they can use reducers AFTER the cats to complete the y. I wouldn't do it though. You'll probably sacrifice some power and it will be quieter than the 3". If hollowed cats through a LM catback isn't loud enough, then you'll have to step up to 3" duals dumped, or get some cutouts. Cause there isn't a y-pipe/catback combo out there that will be louder than what you have. Unless you just dump a bullet right at the end of the y-pipe and ditch the LM.

Just my 0.02
Old 02-23-2005, 01:37 PM
TECH Resident

Is there emissions testing in CT. I'm guessing you want to keep the cats for visual right? Otherwise, what is the point of having them at all. A buddy of mine hollowed out his cats on his Cobra and I was thinking WTF? There aren't any emissions tests in MI, why didn't you just get some straight pipes or something. Would've been cheaper.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea emissions alright..i hate it...as far as i know its OBDII w/ a visual scan for cats. As long as i have no thrown codes i'm all set....so if i dump right after the y-pipe and put a bullet is that considered legal? From my understanding as long as i have a muffler or something to take the place of a muffler then i'm all set. I cant do cut outs i thought b/c i am keeping the damn shells for emissions purposes . So a 3" pipe will be louder than a 2.5"? i thought b/c of having more restriction in air flow it would get louder. So if i keep the 3" pipe and dump after the y..w/ a bullet it will be louder than a 3" w/ the LM? Thanks for any info.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

Go with the 3" y-pipe to the LM. Then if you decide to do duals later on you have the option to cut the y-pipe and run 3" or 2.5" duals whichever you choose.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99CamaroSS
Yea emissions alright..i hate it...as far as i know its OBDII w/ a visual scan for cats. As long as i have no thrown codes i'm all set....so if i dump right after the y-pipe and put a bullet is that considered legal? From my understanding as long as i have a muffler or something to take the place of a muffler then i'm all set. I cant do cut outs i thought b/c i am keeping the damn shells for emissions purposes . So a 3" pipe will be louder than a 2.5"? i thought b/c of having more restriction in air flow it would get louder. So if i keep the 3" pipe and dump after the y..w/ a bullet it will be louder than a 3" w/ the LM? Thanks for any info.
It'll be a little quieter than open headers. Just for S and G's, I put a bullet that came with my TSP duals at the end of my Kook's ORY and it scared the hell out of me.

You probably won't pass visual with the bullet dumped after the y. It's my understanding that the exhaust has to exit behind the passanger compartment to be legal. Maybe someone else will chime in on this though.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, i will do the 3" y-pipe....but i was actually considering what kpowr said before w/ the bullet. I was looking into it and if i remove my LM and put the 3" y-pipe in...then put a bullet right after the y-pipe and thats all...technically i'll be legal and pretty loud right? I drove around w/ open headers for the entire summer last year and no one bothered me, so i'm not worried about that, but emissions wise...my other question is....i went to dynomax, their bullet looks exaclty like the "muffler" or bullet that the LM uses in the i pipe....can i just cut and weld that on to the end of my 3" y-pipe and call it a day.

Ok...so viusually if i do the bulllet and then dump and fail...technically all i'd have to do is fab a pipe extension to put it a little farther back, clamp it on and i'll be set for the emissions...then after emissions i can go back to the first idea w/ the bullet right after the y?
Old 02-23-2005, 02:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99CamaroSS
Ok, i will do the 3" y-pipe....but i was actually considering what kpowr said before w/ the bullet. I was looking into it and if i remove my LM and put the 3" y-pipe in...then put a bullet right after the y-pipe and thats all...technically i'll be legal and pretty loud right? I drove around w/ open headers for the entire summer last year and no one bothered me, so i'm not worried about that, but emissions wise...my other question is....i went to dynomax, their bullet looks exaclty like the "muffler" or bullet that the LM uses in the i pipe....can i just cut and weld that on to the end of my 3" y-pipe and call it a day.

Ok...so viusually if i do the bulllet and then dump and fail...technically all i'd have to do is fab a pipe extension to put it a little farther back, clamp it on and i'll be set for the emissions...then after emissions i can go back to the first idea w/ the bullet right after the y?
That might work. The bullet is not the same as the LM resonator. The resonator is just a hollow piece of pipe. The bullet has a perforated inner pipe surrounded by fiberglass (I think), that helps to refine and muffle the sound a little bit.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

OHHH ok....i guess thats what i'll try this year then. Anyone have any suggestions where i should get the bullet from? Dont know if there is a specific place to order from.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont think 3" piping will make the car louder than 2.5".
Old 02-23-2005, 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LOL, what size pipe are you running? Now i need to go by majority of opinions..i originally thought 2.5" would make it louder, but everyone so far is thinking 3 so more opinions the better.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:59 PM
TECH Resident

I'd stick with 3" for performance sake. Dynomax makes the bullet your looking for. Many of our sponsors carry them. Actually, I have an extra one left over from my TSP true duals. I bought some sweet thunders instead. It has a turndown welded on it too. Let me know if you wanna buy mine.