Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible problem found durring cam install ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Possible problem found durring cam install ???

Ok so Im doing my cam install on a 2001 Z06 and I go to bust loose the crank pulley bolt but no go it just turns over ( In gear with the ebrake on etc ) . Ive done a few of these before on 6 speeds and this has never happened to me.

Anyways I thought maybe the rear wheels were turning so I marked them and did it some more, nope not turning !!

So I marked the flywheel teeth and thats whats turning

So is this a problem with the clutch or possible something not connected in the torque tube area itself ? I had my slave cylinder disconected and my master cyliner is still disconected if it matters . . . do these pieces affect the clamp of the clutch ??
Old 03-18-2005, 07:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your clutch is slipping.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:12 PM
9 Second Club

If the motor turns with the trans in 4th & e-brake full on; the clutch is slipping. You can get the bolt out with an impact wrench but you won't get it properly torqued during re-assembly.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wow never thought it would be the clutch , it spins with almost no effort on the pulley bolt and it appears the whole assembly ( cluch and pressure plate, flywheel etc ) is moving together

Is there anything that may have been disconnected in the torque tube / rearend itself by the bodyshop that was inspecting ( they dropped the motor etc as I noticed a few bolts missing from the bellhousing and torque tube )
Old 03-18-2005, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I should add that the car was bought as "damaged" and was taken apart for inspection before it was sold. . . . Im thinking they may have left something disconnected as they had left alot of items lose or missing like the alternator, starter, bellhousing inspection cover . . .

Its never been driven , still being assembled . . .

Last edited by JoeDirt; 03-18-2005 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:36 PM
On The Tree

cant he do like the guys with automatic trannys do?? block the flywheel from turning at the starter?
Old 03-18-2005, 11:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got the bolt out Im just worried theres something wrong in the clutch / torque tube area and want to make sure its fixed before I finish re assembly .

Im 99.99 % sure it wouldnt be the clutch on its own because the car was driven right before the wreck and it turns too freely , not like it has any resistance at all. If it were the clutch "slipping" due to wear there would still be some resistance . . . there is none

Could it have something to do with the slave cylinder being disconected before ??
Old 03-19-2005, 12:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have your fix. Make sure the car is in neutral, then push in the cluch, put it in 4th, then let out the clutch. Try that

I had the SAME EXACT problem, this was the fix
Old 03-19-2005, 01:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rgriffin
cant he do like the guys with automatic trannys do?? block the flywheel from turning at the starter?
Yes. This would be the best way to do it if the clutch doesn't hold.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I still doubt it is the clutch without something else causing this . . . If the clutch is that week ( Can turn over with ratchet by hand ) the car wouldnt have had enough power to get enough forward enertia to be in the accident

Could the slave cylinder be stuck engaged ??

( Its in 4th gear already )
Old 03-19-2005, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

May have found something , the fawking idiots didnt re install the top ( long ) braided line . . . anybody know wtf this goes to ?

http://redshift.homestead.com/Drivetrain/DT49.jpg

Im never buying another car that someone else has dis assembled